cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Changing BT ID Username ends up in a 'Line Takeover'!!??

Wow - I thought this was going to be a quick job:

1. Log on to My BT.
  2. Change the name, date of birth and email address to that of my wife's.
  3. Save and log off.

How wrong I was...

When I tried to do the above steps, no matter what emaill address I type in, I just get the error 'Sorry there was a problem saving your changes' over and over again:

BT_Error_1.png

So I contacted live chat who told me that I must create a new BT ID for my wife and sent the following instructions (shown here verbatim):

'First register the email address as BT ID(by clicking on sign up) then login through new BT ID through this link www.bt.com/mybt. Click on "my profile" after that click on "Go to my account" then click on "I am the owner of account holder" then it will ask you for 4 digit pin.After that we will send you the 4 digit pin through post in 3-4 days.'

So I created a BT ID for my wife, but the problem was there is no 'I am the owner of account holder' (which makes no sense anyway), however there was an option that said 'I should be the account holder'.  So I figured that sounds like what I need, however when I click on that I then get an error saying 'Sorry, only the Primary BT ID for this account can access this BT Extra':

Second Error

So I start a live chat again, explaining that I am now in a situation where we have two BT ID's, mine has the 'Account Holder' role and my wife's has the 'Account Manager' role and I just want to swap them round. I am then told that I need to speak to someone on the phone and they will arrange to call me.

Moments later I receive a call, and I repeat the above, only to be told that BT would need to do a line take over as my wife

would be the new account holder.  Seriously???

This seems absolutely ridiculous considering all I wanted to do was change the email address on the Primary BT ID!  I'm not bothered about having two ID's linked to the account (although I can see some uses) but either way my wife needs to end up with the 'Account Holder' role so that she can manage everything like BT Wifi & parental controls etc...

So, can anyone tell me how I can either:

1. Swap these two roles around?, or,
  2. Remove the second ID and change the email address on the Primary BT ID?

Huge thanks in advance as I am now so far down the rabbit warren I can't even see daylight!

Tags (5)
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Message 2 of 7

Re: Changing BT ID Username ends up in a 'Line Takeover'!!??

I forgot to add...

I also have a closed account attached to the Primary BT ID, wonder whether this is causing the problems? Either way, it would be nice to also remove this closed account as certain things keep 'defaulting' to it.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

If you want your wife to be the account holder then what you have been told is correct. A new account must be created in her name and your account ceased.

There is no way round this.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Welcome to this user forum.

You cannot change the account holder without the existing service being ceased, any cancellation charges paid, and a new contract started in your wife`s name.

This explanation from a BT Employee should help, as it also applies in your case.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/Add-Second-Name-to-Account/m-p/1701139#M82531

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Yep - I take your point, but, what about the original objective, i.e. just change the email address.

Lets completely forget about using my wifes email address, what happens if I just want to change my email address from me@provider1.com to me@provider2.com?

The original error still persists and based on the advice received, I have to create a new BT ID using me@provider2.com who can then never have the 'Account Holder' role within the My BT portal.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

You cannot change the primaty BT ID name either, but I think possibly one of the BT moderators can. You would still be the Account Holder.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

You would never guess that all this BTID/MYBT/single sign-on malarkey was devised to simplify things for the customer would you!!!

0 Ratings