cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Nicodemus53
Message 1 of 4

Changing account holder

My mother wants to take responsibility for managing the home phone and email BT account since my father, the named BT account holder, has entered a nursing home due to his advancing dementia. She herself will be moving to a smaller home in the same area code and wants to keep the telephone number they have used for the last 25 years. She has been told she will first have to open a new account, incurring charges for doing so, and close my father's account which will also be subject to exit charges. In addition she will be assigned a new telephone number, which she may be able to change back to the existing number. 

She doesn't want a new number which none of her contacts will know, especially during a crucial period of moving home

and also needing to remain in touch with the nursing home where my father is.

After the new account for phone and email has been set up she will be able to move it to her new address, but she hasn't been told whether there will be further charges for this.

Apparently the only way BT can change the account holder is following a bereavement. Surely the circumstances which my mother finds herself in must be fairly common, and I would have expected BT to provide a service to meet her needs. If BT can't promise to let her keep her phone number I can't see any good reason for her to remain a BT customer.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Changing account holder

I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. Once you have replied to them by the link, it can at present take up to five working days for them to re-contact you.

Nicodemus53
Message 3 of 4

Thanks gg30340. I hope the moderators will be able to advise me and my mother.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Hi Nicodemus53,

Welcome and thanks for your posts!

There shouldn't be an issue keeping the telephone number provided the address your Mum is moving to is on the same exchange as the current address.

We'll be happy to give you a hand with this from here.  Click on my username and under the "about me" section of my profile you'll see the link to get in touch with us.

Cheers,

Robbie