cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 5

Changing my package because of lockdown

I tried to get through on BT chat but they told me to phone. I can't get through on the phone and chat directed me here. 

I'm a "vulnerable customer". Because of a serious health problem (lymphoma) which has compromised my immune system anyway - let alone nowadays - I've received my NHS letter telling me I'm in total lockdown for 12 weeks. This means that I'll be indoors ALL the time and using my computer a lot more. I currently pay £56 per month for broadband and my landline phone (my mobile is a basic "pay as you go" and I don't have a contract). I think that, in the circumstances, £56 a month is a bit steep - especially since I'm a pensioner - and I would like to reduce it, if possible - at least for the 12 weeks of my enforced detention. 

Is there any possibility of this - or do I just have to continue coughing up the £56 per month as usual? As I said at the start of my post, I can't find anyone to actually TALK to in order to discuss it!

I'm also supposed to be on BT Halo but I've got an ordinary hub which I've had for years and not a mini one. I'm very confused as to what I'm supposed to have.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Changing my package because of lockdown

I don't understand how if you were paying £56 for your package before your twelve week "lockdown" and the cost was OK but now you are predicting during your  "lockdown" that you are going to use your package even more  but now you think that the £56 is a bit steep and want to reduce the cost.

While you may want to reduce the cost, if you are in a minimum term contract for your Broadband and Landline phone I doubt that you will be able to reduce the cost unless you are wiling to re-contract.

If however you are not in a Broadband and Landline phone contract you should call 0800.800.030 and try and negotiate a cheaper deal. This will also mean entering into a new contract but it could save you some money.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 5

Sorry, I should have put it better but I'm confused myself.

I've been sure for some time that I've been paying too much for my package - especially since I logged in to my account and saw my bill - but I haven't been able to get through to anyone in BT to discuss it with them. As I said, I'm supposed to be in the "vulnerable customer" category but - understandably - there's only a skeleton staff on call.

I got through to someone on chat but they told me to phone up - so I'm going round in circles. I tried to find the number to phone but all I get is information about the coronavirus. I can't find the current call centre operating hours either. 

Thanks for the reply anyway. I'll carry on hunting around and see if I can get hold of someone to see if I can change my package.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

If you phone the number I posted above they should be able to advise you.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

when was last time you renewed you package with BT.  It may be it was a while ago and you are no longer in fixed term contract and any discounts you had have ceased. I suggest you phone options team and if you are out of contract then they will help and you can negotiate a new deal

phone 0800800030

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings