Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Lily15
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Charge for 118500 usage by lady with dementia

Tearing my hair out trying to get a resolution to this issue.  

My 89 year old mother who has severe dementia has run up over £300 in calls to 118500 over a few months as she doesn't understand the cost and insists that "you don't need to dial the numbers anymore because when you are old BT just put you through to who you want to speak to".  As she is generally unable to dial numbers we suspect that she has hit the pre-programmed (by BT!) quick dial 1 button to BT services and they have put her through to 118500.  To anyone speaking to her from BT it would be quite clear she wasn't 'right' as many of the calls lasted only a few seconds whilst others went on for much longer than it would take to give out a number.  

After emails which went ignored and a few useless chat sessions, someone from BT eventually called us weeks ago and offered £30 as a goodwill gesture which is a disgrace and was refused.  They again offered to restrict her calls TO THEIR OWN NUMBER but this cost extra. I again said I wanted to go to ombudsman but they said I had to wait for deadlock letter which they would send immediately.  Once again they have let me down as we have heard nothing since.

My questions are:  (1) how do we go to the ombudsman if BT won't send the deadlaock letter and (2) if we cancel my mum's BT service entirely does this affect our case with the ombudsman?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Charge for 118500 usage by lady with dementia

the only people on forum who may be able to help are forum mods who are BT employees  they will post a contact us link 

contact mods.jpg

After completing the email NOT PM then you join a queue of other customers waiting for mod help. The mods will get back to you in 3/5 working days either by phone or email

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

This is probably what you need.

Network Controlled Calling

http://www.bt.com/includingyou/calling-easier-control-calls.html#more3

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Hi Lily15,

Welcome and thanks for posting!

Sorry you've had such a poor experience getting this sorted out for your Mum.  I can definitely understand the circumstances. 

Send us the details and we'll get you sorted.  Click on my username and under the "about me" section of my profile you'll see the link to get in touch with us.

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Lily15
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

Thanks for that, the moderator has been in touch

0 Ratings
Lily15
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

Thanks for that but I just want to block the one BT rip off number as we need to be able to contact numerous doctors, social workers etc so restructing the numbers to 10 just doesnt work.  the other 'solution' BT offerred was to pay them more money each month to block their own number - not going to happen!

0 Ratings
Lily15
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

Thanks Robbie, have done that. The enquiry number is *********

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

Please delete the vol number for security as this is a public forum

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
mahoneys7
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

I have the same problem. My 95 year old mother moved into a care home in November 2014 and we were advised to use BT as the phone provider by the home manager. Due to previous issues, we certainly would not have used them by choice. We told BT when we set up the contract that it was a care home and she would have a care line, and they had to visit the premises to connect her phone after initial mistakes were made, so saw the setup for themselves. It is now June 2015 and I have just discovered that she has been using 118500, and was completely unaware that she was being charged for it. She insists that the operators did not make her aware of the charges. One single call of 3.52 minutes cost £11.84, and another for 1.27 was £6.92. My mother is a very old lady and sounds like one. She has not got dementia but gets confused very easily. I contacted BT and just got the official line. This is an exact extract from the online chat:-

'I am sorry to inform you that the Charges for the 118500 are huge. And this is not the first time that you have been calling the 118500 numbers. There are several other instances where in you have been charged for the same. The best would be to hang up the 118500 calls as soon as possible. Please understand that the calls will be highly chargeable.'

I was also advised that to stop my mother using the service I must pay a monthly charge for call barring. I intend to take this to Ofcom but didn't realise I needed a deadlock letter first. Can someone provide me with the best address or email to use to get the deadlock letter?

0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 10 of 12

Hi mahoneys7, 

Welcome to the community and thanks for your post. 

I am sorry that you weren't given any help when you called in about the 118 calls made from your mother's line. Can you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile and I will be in touch to help.

Thanks,

OlgaC 

Community ModeratorOlga
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
0 Ratings