Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brandscill
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 5

Charged £129.99 to fix a fault with the original installation

Hi All,

Just woke to see that a £129.99 charge has been added to my bill to fix an issue with my phone line back in November. This issue has been present ever since the line was installed. 

When the engineer came out he found an issue with the original work done where the line came into the communal hallway and then into my living room where the master socket was. He said the easiest thing to do would be to re-run the cable and fit a new master socket. He told me trying to get the cable back to the original master socket would be difficult and he suspects this is why half a job was done in the first place.

Given the fault was found with the BT cabling and not within my home I assumed this would not incur any cost. In fact I waited a long time to even raise a fault as I bought a new phone line and did every test under the sun to ensure I wouldn't be charged.

I've just called BT Billing who said it's out of their hands but some back office team will take a look. Meanwhile I'm lumped with a bill which will be taken via DD next week.

Can anybody here lend some advise? 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Charged £129.99 to fix a fault with the original installation

this is the basis of the charge - does any apply  http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12439/c/

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Brandscill
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 5

None.

0 Ratings
Brandscill
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 5

So, called BT. Have to wait for a separate department to call me back on Monday. Guy in Cardiff said they used to be able to reverse these charges themselves but can no longer do so. His opinion is this is an invalid charge after reading the notes though but obviously couldn't commit to the charge being removed as it's out of his hands. Good to see BT making the process nice and simple for customers though! Move the work to a team you can't even talk directly with.
0 Ratings
Brandscill
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 5

BT Called back. Said the engineer notes place the blame with me due to 'damage'. It doesn't specify what this damage was but the location of the damage is not within my property and is before the master socket. I was told that my reporting a faults with broadband after installation and my chat conversation noting I had no dial tone is meaningless to the issue. So I paid for a brand new phone line to be installed which has had faults from day 1 and now I'm paying £130 for the privilage of having it fixed.

Digusted with the way BT Retail are handling this issue. Now told to wait 30 days whilst they go back to BT OR with £130 hanging over my head.

0 Ratings