cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Charged £4.46 a minute for two 118 118 calls

Ended up costing £39.40 for two calls. Appreciate that directory enquiries are expensive, but this seemed excessive.

I've just been on a chat with a BT rep who explained the calls were made up of "£1.39 per minute, plus your phone company's Access charge".

I explained he was my "phone company" and asked him to explain what these access charges were. He couldn't.

I asked him where I could find out what they were and he pointed me to http://www.bt.com/pricing.

I explained I couldn't see anything on access charges there either, but he couldn't help.

Anyone else have this problem?

(I can't remember what I was searching for, but think it was a local restaurant's number - turns out it would have been cheaper to have jumped in a taxi and asked them face-to-face)

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Charged £4.46 a minute for two 118 118 calls

If they put you through to the number, then the charges continue.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 4

After a lot of digging, the "access charge" appears to be the same as the price of a call to a "service number".

In plain English, the rate you pay BT is the same as you would pay BT for a normal phone call, but ignoring any calling package you're on.

In other words, 11p per minute.  http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/lib/pdf/BT_PhoneTariff_Residential.pdf

If you are ever desperate enough to need to call a 118 number, never let them put you through to the person you are asking about.  They charge their inflated rate for the entire duration of the call.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 4

118 calls and anything to do with them are a complete rip-off. I notice that one of the main players is morphing into a loan shark provider; hopefully that means that enough people have sussed them out to send the directory enquiry business down the Swanee.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.