cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
janne
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Charged for 118 calls that I've never made

Please can you help. I've contacted BT twice today regarding this problem and was told they could not help, but gave me two telephone numbers the first number I obviously heard incorrectly probably due to the asian accent and my poor hearing, The number being **********?. The second number was  0800 500 212 which was not of any help.

Unfortunately I've not been in the habit of checking my phone/broadband bills, as I only make 20-30 calls per month mainly to family members. It's extremely rare that I dial a call as all the phone numbers I use are programmed into my phone.

Now to my problem I have just looked at my last bill and see that according to the statement I made a total of 20 phone calls, 4 of these are listed as 118 numbers  which is a number I have never ever made. The bill total is £77.62 of which £44-79 is for the 118 calls that I have not made.

Can you advise who to contact as at the moment I appear to be going round in circles.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Charged for 118 calls that I've never made

Welcome to this forum.
This is a customer to customer forum only, where forum members, who are only BT customers, can help each other with BT Retail products and services.

Anything you post here does not go to BT. Although the forum is moderated by BT, not all posts are read.

Calls to 118 are directory enquiry services, so are you sure you have not used them to ask for a phone number?

If they offer to put you through to the number, the charge per minute is very high.

janne
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

Yes I'm well aware the charges are very high and no I've never ever made a 118 call. As I posted I only make a few calls a month mainly to family members, all are preprogrammed into my phone, so I very rarely actually dial a number.

At the moment all I'm getting from BT billing department is this is something we cannot help with. Hence my question here for help as to whom to contact.

Jaane

0 Ratings
srehman76
Message 4 of 15

Hi

Did you get any response there from anywhere except suggestions that you are sure .. I got 118 calls never dailed and it seems BT are too sure about their system and not ready to accept that there is something wrong with their billing system?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
ransman
Message 5 of 15

Further to the above posts,  my BT bill today includes charge for a call I could not have made.  There are 2 of us at my address, we both were out, the intruder alarm was set and there was therefore no way a call could have been made physically.  The call was listed to 118505 and the charge for 47 seconds was an eye-watering £6.17p including VAT.  I feel that this is a matter that Ofcom should check.  Anyone know how to raise them?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 15

@ransman wrote:

Further to the above posts,  my BT bill today includes charge for a call I could not have made.  There are 2 of us at my address, we both were out, the intruder alarm was set and there was therefore no way a call could have been made physically.  The call was listed to 118505 and the charge for 47 seconds was an eye-watering £6.17p including VAT.  I feel that this is a matter that Ofcom should check.  Anyone know how to raise them?

Hi. Welcome to the forums. 118505 is international DQ, and commands a 4.99 charge, 1.35 per minute as well as access charge.

Do you use bt smarttalk?

0 Ratings
jazznorthwest
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 15

I've just received my phone bill which lists a call to 118 500 lasting 1 second and costing £5.61.  Now as an ex BT engineer I began to think of all the possible ways this could have happened as there are only two of us in the house and neither of us would dream of ringing directory enquiries when you can access it on line.  So could it have been accidentally dialled. The call was made at 19:31 on 5/2/17 and the only other calls either side were 5 hours earlier, and the following day, so the phone wasn't even in use at that time.  This number isn't even in the phone address book or speed dial. So I can't begin to think how a 1 second call was accidentally made without evidence of another number being called immediately afterwards suggesting the first one was mis dialled.  I've rung BT and now have to wait two days for an account manager to ring between 1pm and 3pm.  It pays to check your bills carefully, watch this space

0 Ratings
jazznorthwest
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 15

Can't believe it!  I was told i would be rung between 1pm and 3pm today. I did receive a call on my mobile yesterday from BT but nobody there when I answered it. Rang back and announcement said I'd been called, and would be called again. Nobody rang today so called BT again and was told I was rung yesterday and complaint was closed. Apparantly I'd agreed to ring "Payphone Plus" whoever they are !!   BT have agreed to ring me again in next 24 hours. We shall see

0 Ratings
jazznorthwest
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 15

Payphone Plus seems to be “The UK regulator for content, goods and services charged to a phone bill".   http://psauthority.org.uk/ . BT never rang me back so I had to call BT a third time.  I was told that I'd been called and agreed to speak to Payphone Plus, total fabrication, nobody rang and spoke to me as they were informed on previous call.  Got to speak to a manager who insisted that a 1 second call to 118500 must have been made from my phone, end of discussion. As an ex BT engineer I know of ways within the system where calls can be made from customer's lines, but I hesitate to suggest that has happened.  I am now left to write a letter to Customer Service Manager, BT Correspondence Centre, Durham, DH98 1BT.  Once again, watch this space.

0 Ratings
kathscats
Message 10 of 15

Sorry to hear your problem. We too have just received a bill from Unicom with the same number on it charging us nearly £6 for 2 seconds.  There are only two of us in the house and on the day mentioned and time I was at work and my partner was in bed!   I am going to contact my phone provider tomorrow to see what the hell is going on here!!  Neither of us would ever use 118 numbers.  I may be in for a long process getting this one sorted I think!

0 Ratings