Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
leonardsx4
Beginner
Message 1 of 18

Charged for BT Sport

Near to tears.  

We have been charge £400 plus £100 by a debt collector for BT Sports which my son never cancelled. I paid for the channel in 2016 and he transferred £10 a month into our account. He left home in 2017 and we changed from Sky to VIrgin as the package was cheaper. Over the following two years I received letters from BT Sports about paying for the channel however when I cheecked Sports on the system all the sports channels were unavailable therefore I ignored the letters. 

So now I have to pay for a bill for a channel I couldn't watch even if I wanted to. I spoke to BT several time on receiving the demand and was told all my accounts were closed and the comany was probably scammers. So after a few months it seems BT did not settle the dispute as stated and threw my 'closed' account to the lions. Now I have to pay £500 to keep those lions from our door. I was told by a young man on the end of the phone it was not their problem as it had been passed on. At 60 years of age I could do without this. 

BT at its best!!

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 18

Re: Charged for BT Sport

I'm asking the forum moderators (BT staff) to see if they can help you with this, and they will post contact info here later.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
leonardsx4
Beginner
Message 3 of 18

Thanks for that. Colin
0 Ratings
TechFreak
Beginner
Message 4 of 18

If you hadn't informed BT about the switch from Sky to Virgin, there is a high possibility that they would maintain the charges as that's how it works however I'm sure one of the mods can definitely look into this and see if they can get this settled for you
0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 5 of 18

@leonardsx4wrote:

however when I cheecked Sports on the system all the sports channels were unavailable therefore I ignored the letters. 

You were subscribed to BT Sports on Sky, which is provided by BT on the Sky platform, you switched to Virgin Media so the sports doesn't transfer acrosss and BT are not to know you're no longer a Sky customer.

In 2016/2017 BT Sports was £25.99 per month, BT will let a couple of bills pass before terminating for non-payment, if you're being billed £400 then most likely you were in a contract and the majority of the fee is an early termination fee for ceasing whilst under a minimum term, you would of had to pay that regardless as switching to VM isn't a reason for getting out of a contract.

0 Ratings
leonardsx4
Beginner
Message 6 of 18

It was the football only.
0 Ratings
leonardsx4
Beginner
Message 7 of 18

It was football only and since when does a termination cost £400. I am sure they would just cancel and delete the service after a few months of non payment if they didn't know I was using it?
0 Ratings
leonardsx4
Beginner
Message 8 of 18

If hope so. Thanks for that.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 18

Hi @leonardsx4,

Welcome to the Community.

I am sorry to hear that the charges have built up. If we weren't receiving payment and had no contact about our letters then there is a good chance that the account was closed for non payment. It sounds like you signed up to an 18 month contract which had a cancellation fee for stopping the account early. I know you mentioned to @-Richie- that it was for football only but you would still be paying for the full BT Sport channels.

I am very worried that someone told you to ignore the debt collection agency especially when we would have referred it for debt collection. I think that part should be looked into for you. I have sent you a private message with some questions that I need answered for one of my team to pick it up.

Thanks

DanielS

Community ModeratorDannyS
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 10 of 18

@leonardsx4wrote:
It was football only and since when does a termination cost £400. I am sure they would just cancel and delete the service after a few months of non payment if they didn't know I was using it?

BT will have no way to tell if a service is used or not, you had it on a 3rd party platform (Sky).
If you're within a minimum term then early termination fees will apply, by the time you're cut off for non-payment around 3 months billing would be owed, so 3 months service plus an early termination charge can easily be £400.

0 Ratings