cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
catballoo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Charged for Engaged local calls

It seems BT are still charging for engaged calls and still giving customers the runaround.  I have been charged for making calls to the doctors surgery as per previous posts on this forum. When I make the call it rings twice then goes to engaged tone eventually bt cuts in saying not possible to connect and use call back feature (which you cant).Bt has charged 28p for each of these unconnected calls which are quite a few as you can imagine.  Contacted bt twice, first time just said all engaged calls are charged, when asked to speak to manager was told he was not in and she wouldnt ask him to ring.  On speaking to the second person he said there is a charge for ALL outgoing calls.  After much deliberating he then asked if we had an alarm fitted as this could account for charge - NO. Then asked if it was a special number - NO. He then backtracked to - ALL outgoing calls charged.  After a long discussion he eventually agreed to have manager call at a fixed time on Saturday. Will it materialise! I have my doubts. Could someone confirm if this an ongoing problem or have they the right to use a system that charges even when the call is engaged. WHY DO THEY CONSIDER ENGAGED TO BE CONNECTED. I would appreciate some input in the hope of having some leverage IF and when I get speaking to the manager.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Charged for Engaged local calls

You should check with the surgery to see if they are using a BT service that does what you say if the line is engaged. If it does it will mean in effect that your call is answered and then transferred to the "call back" service.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 16

complain to your surgery is it an 0844 number by chance
0 Ratings
catballoo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 16

The call back option is the normal one bt uses when a line is engaged. The surgery does not offer a call back service. When I tried the bt service of call back it does not allow it.  I generally hung up once I heard the engaged toned before bt cuts in and still charged.

0 Ratings
catballoo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 16

It is just a local number. Can a system be in force where ie the surgery in effect answers your call with an engaged tone?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

I have no idea what services are available and how they work but the surgery would be my first port of call particularly if it is only when you call them that it happens.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Patty-L
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 16

When I ring my surgery (local number) I get almost the same but the message is superimposed over the engaged tone, I have dialled almost one after the other maybe 10 times or more trying to get through, the only time I have been charged is when I have been connected. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 16

I suggest the fault is on the phone system of the doctors surgery whereby once their system answers the call a signal is sent back to the main exchange to start the call charging process.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
catballoo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 16

Thanks for your input. Found similar prob elsewhere on Internet and it is looking possibly like the call may be answered by the surgery which is immediately rerouted to another line which is engaged. Although this doesn't explain bt cutting in suggesting ringback. I'll contact surgery as well to try and get to the bottom of it. If that is the case such a system should never be used in a doctor's surgery where you have to ring continously to get to speak to a doctor, as you only have a half hour window. I intend to keep digging.
0 Ratings
catballoo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 16

Have spoken to Practice Manager, they have new system installed and are looking into it. Spoken to a BT manager, kept asking if we had alarm fitted, are also supposed to be looking into it. Still awaiting comeback from both sources.......
0 Ratings