Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Collymonster
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Charges for an Engineer visit.

Go to solution
Just when I thought that this had finally been settled....

I moved into my new (privately rented) house on the 28th of Feb this year, I had already reported a fault with the wiring coming into the property and was assured that the engineer callout fee did not apply as the damage was not caused by myself or my family as we were not.living there at the time.
Anyway cut a long story short, after a month of no service and excuse after excuse I finally had an Engineer attend the property and he found that the circuit in the junction box was fried (he said it was ancient and they do go from time to time) he replaced it and reconnected it and even switched my master socket to a double one (he just did it I never asked him to).
A couple of weeks later I was billed for £270 a new connection fee (I have been a BT customer for years) a new line fitted (even though there was already a working line to the house) and an Engineer callout charge.
After many MANY phonecalls and tears I spoke to a wonderful chap in Canterbury (?) Who was very apologetic and wavered all the fees as I shouldn't have been charged them so I thought all's gravy and breathed a HUGE sigh of relief. This was in the end of March beginning of April.
Checked the bank as I was going to bed tonight and I've had £207 taken from my account on the 18th May, checked my BT account and I have been charged £129.99 engineer callout fee for 15/03/17 so my questions are;
1: why have I been charged after being told by 2 separate people over the phone that the charges have been cancelled?
2: why wait 2 months to do it?
I am absolutely disgusted to say the least I already pay over the odds as it is as bt seem to put their prices up every couple of months and not to mention the service is shoddy. This has now left me unable to feed my child or travel to work.
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 4

Re: Charges for an Engineer visit.

Go to solution

I am asking the forum moderators to look into this for you and thy will post contact information here later this morning.

If you want to get you money back meanwhile, tell your bank that the payment was incorrect and, under the Direct Debit Guarantee, they are obliged to restore the funds to your account immediately.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Hi @Collymonster,

I'll be able to take a look at this for you. Please can you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile?

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Collymonster
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution
Hi sorryy I haven't been able to reply sooner been crazy at work and waiting for BT to eventually call back.
Just spoke to a wonderful lady (Sheryl) at an onshore call centre who looked into it and has refunded the money, she explained that there was conflicting engineer reports (some said the repair was chargeable as the issue was my equipment others said it wasn't as it was a burnt out circuit board on equipment that was not my responibility) so it's all sorted out I hope! Roll on 6th June when my contract ends....
0 Ratings