cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
new
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 9

Cheapest BT Broadband and phone

Hi everyone, before I contact BT I thought I would ask here.  I have an elderly neighbour whose wife has just died.  She used the computer, but he doesn't. He is paying £65 per month, which I think must be a landline and Fibre package.  He is out of contract, so I think he could just drop to landline only, as he obviously still wants the phone and as he doesn't have a mobile.  However, his brother in law visits often and he brings his laptop and wants to be able to connect to the Internet when he visits, What would be the cheapest options?  

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Cheapest BT Broadband and phone

@new 

If he is out of contract, then ask him to call 0800 800 030, and negotiate a cheaper package. Make sure that they do offer a cheaper deal, and do not be tempted by any extras.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

If he doesn't use the Internet he should just get a phone package.

His brother in law can get a mobile phone package that gives him enough mobile data so that he can tether his laptop to it in order to use the Internet. This will save your neighbour a lot of money and the brother in law can pay for his own Internet usage!

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

this may be of interest

https://btplc.com/inclusion/ProductsAndServices/BTBasic/ApplyingforBTBasic/index.htm

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

From the BT  website.

If you don't have broadband and you're not planning to get it, you could get a discount on a BT landline. To find out if you're eligible, call us on 0800 587 0083.

0 Ratings
new
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 9

Thanks I think that is for people on benefits and I don't think he is.  
With regard to ringing the Options Team, he is extremely deaf, and I am not sure they will be prepared to talk to me about his account.  He is only going to his wife's funeral tomorrow so I have told him I will try to help him later when he is a bit more settled. 
With regard to the Mobile Phone option, I discussed that with the Brother in Law, but he is also elderly and doesn't want to get a smart phone. 

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 9

BT do a line rental ‘deal’ for those who have a landline for telephony only , it’s £7 per cheaper than standard line rental , but your neighbour would have to remove broadband from the line and his relative would have to make alternative arrangements to get online...or as already stated negotiate a better deal
https://btplc.com/inclusion/NewsAndEvents/News/lineonlyreduction/index.htm
0 Ratings
new
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 9

Thank you all for your answers. One other thing, if he re-contracts, in order to pay less than the £65 he pays monthly now, he will no doubt have to enter a 24 month contract. If, as seems likely, he needs to go into a Care Home before the end of the contract, will ne still need to pay a penalty?

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 9

Quite a few care homes have phone lines for individual rooms so your neighbour may be able to use the home move facility if needed ,otherwise he will have to pay a penalty but this would be at a much lower rate than now.

0 Ratings