Aspiring Contributor
paulstevo

Closed Account how to cash cheque?

[ Edited ]

Heres a link to my previous problem which i may add was dealt with exceptionally well.

http://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Call-Packages/Change-of-name-question-after-divorce/td-p/30561

Problem i now have is the old account from previous partner is closed and i now have my new account in my name..

The old account which i continued to pay under the old name had an ecess of £21 which i have recieved via a cheque but not in my name its in the old account holders name which i suppose makes sense.

How can i claim this money back in my name.

The records would show the bills have always been paid by  a credit or debit card associated with me.

The cheque with the name on now will never be cashed as i am no longer aware of the current location of the previous account holder and havnt been for at least a year.

Any advice much appreciated as the excess money on this cheque was paid and accumulated by myself.

Aspiring Contributor
paulstevo

Re: Closed Account how to cash cheque?

Anyone?

Expert
ttyrie

I think BT can only do a refund in the BT Account Holders name- not the credit/ debit card!

Aspiring Contributor
paulstevo

So im not going to have much luck then?

Expert
ttyrie

No...... I think its something to do with fraud (a bit silly though- if you can prove you paid all the bills) They should give you a refund but they prefer to hide behind all the red tape and not pay what they owe (Jobsworth)!