Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 50

Confused about fibre switch over

Go to solution

Hi there. So I've always had ADSL at my house but today I receive a letter from BT saying that they are automatically switching me to fibre at the end of March and will be sending me a new smart hub. My question is, don't I need an engineer to come out as well and ensure that the current socket I have supports this? I currently just had a landline and a filter connected to that which then goes to my router. BT seem a bit presumptuous with this "automatic switchover" stuff. Can anyone tell me how I can check if it's going to work or not, given I only have one phone socket at the moment in my flat?

0 Ratings
49 REPLIES 49
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 50

Re: Confused about fibre switch over

Go to solution

@chapperz 

They cannot automatically switch you over to VDSL (FTTC) without your permission.

There is a lot of forceful persuasion from BT telling people that the copper network is closing.

The reality is, that unless you are on a FTTP (Fibre To The Premises), you will still be using copper, its not "fibre" broadband, its simply faster copper broadband

You do not have to agree to any change in your current package, so if you are happy with your current ADSL connection, then do not agree to any change.

Highlighted
Message 3 of 50

Go to solution

Hi @chapperz. welcome to the community and thanks for posting, no the engineer doesn't need to visit your home for this service to work. The set up is very similar to how your ADSL is at the moment as all you'll need to do is fit filters on any sockets that have phones or telecom equipment plugged into them. As long as you follow the instructions that will come with your new Hub it should work on your current socket. 

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 50

Go to solution

Brilliant, thanks for replying so quickly and with so much detail. That's reassuring to know how itl work. Hopefully the fibre connection is a bit faster than what I get now with adsl! 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 50

Go to solution

@NeilO 

This is just an extension of the faster broadband service for those who are on a long ADSL line, and are getting less than 17Mbs connection speed.

I assume @chapperz  is getting a very low ADSL connection speed at the moment.

What speed will I get after this upgrade?

This upgrade gives you speeds of up to 17Mb. This means you should see a faster and more reliable service. Note that your actual speed will depend on other things like how close to the exchange you live.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 50

Go to solution
Actually my current adsl speed is around 21Mb so I'm now unsure why BT are offering me this if the "upgrade" only gets me up to 17Mb!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 50

Go to solution

Enter your phone number and post results remember delete number.   https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 50

Go to solution

@chapperz wrote:
Actually my current adsl speed is around 21Mb so I'm now unsure why BT are offering me this if the "upgrade" only gets me up to 17Mb!

Then you must be right next to the exchange, so I would guess that somebody has got hold of the wrong information.

I would ask @NeilO  to look at this for you, as its obviously a mistake.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 50

Go to solution
You're right. The exchange is about 30 seconds from my flat. Seems odd that an "upgrade" could end up being. "downgrade" though surely? I'm not a techie but given my proximity to the exchange and the fact BT are advertising this as being faster, how come the maximum speed is only 17Mb?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 10 of 50

Go to solution

@NeilO 

Do BT not know VDSL is supplied from the cabinet?

"What speed will I get after this upgrade?

This upgrade gives you speeds of up to 17Mb. This means you should see a faster and more reliable service. Note that your actual speed will depend on other things like how close to the exchange you live."

0 Ratings