cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Confused about upgrade

Hi

I rang BT a couple of weeks ago to renew my contract.  The advisor told me that I needed fast broadband to be set up in my home.  I told him that we have been informed it will never be available to our house as there arnt enough properties to warrant setting it up.  He insisted that it was a government request that all houses had this work done so i agreed

I then received emails and eventually a package saying i was having workmen arrive next week to connect us to digital voice - this was the first I had heard of this.  The advisor didnt mention one word about digital voice.  I now get another email to make sure the hub is working by the time they arrive.  Firstly I dont see why i need a new hub to have digital voice - we are on adsl broadband and have hub2.  As this has nothing to do with fast broadband why do I need a new hub?  Secondly we were never asked if we were able to "house" the new equipment in our house - we have both over 70 and quite computer savvy but all this has thrown us completely

Shouldnt BT have actually told me on the phone that this appointment was only to set up the phone or am I missing something here.  I just feel now that the advisor may have taken a slight assumption here when seeing our ages.  

Help please - I dont want to incur any costs if things arnt ready for the openreach people when they come on monday - i dont even know where all this new equipment will be going

Basically I am worried about the whole situation 😞

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Confused about upgrade

can you enter your phone number and post results including the notes.  remember delete number

this will show if fibre to your home is available

you should not need a engineer visit to just change to digital voice.  you need to connect your phone to the green socket on the back of the SH2 for digital voice  you no longer connect your phone to the existing wall socket

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Hi - I went to the link and a large amount of information came up + notes at the bottom, but it will not allow me to copy and paste.  One line in the notes though stands out - "The exchange is not in a current fibre priority programme" 

I am therefore correct in what I told the advisor and am unsure why they want our home to be "ready" when our address is not even in a priority programme

Btw, thank you for your reply 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

you can use the camera icon to post dslchecker stats

how to upload photo.PNG

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Not my day today, it wont let me drag it into the box - the surrounding dashes turn red so I assume its too big.  Even when made smaller , it wont fit!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

you should be able to upload the data and then use that to post

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Managed to get some of the info - do you need more?

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate (Mbps)

Downstream Handback
Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

High

Low

High

Low

VDSL Range A (Clean) 

swift47_0-1719575915116.png

Unavailable

Available

VDSL Range B (Impacted) 

swift47_1-1719575915117.png

Unavailable

Available

G.fast Range A (Clean) 

swift47_2-1719575915117.png

--

--

--

--

--

Unavailable

--

G.fast Range B (Impacted) 

swift47_3-1719575915118.png

--

--

--

--

--

Unavailable

--

FTTP is not available.

The exchange is not in a current fibre priority programme

As a WLR withdrawal exchange, product restrictions apply

SOADSL is not restricted at the exchange

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

For all SOADSL services,the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

Actual speeds experienced by end users and quoted by CPs will be lower due to a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service

ADSL, ADSL2+ and SOADSL availability: If shown at FTTP or SOGEA premises,ADSL, ADSL2+ and SOADSL are not available to order due to WLR Withdrawal stop sell rules. CPs should order FTTP or SOGEA. Copper products are only available by exception.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

that's ok thanks

so as you say fibre to home not available yet so fibre to cabinet and copper to home - FTTC

so as I posted previously you should not need openreach visit just for digital voice as you just need to use the SH2 (DV does not work with older hub) and connect your phone to green socket on back of hub instead of wall socket

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Thank you - I am glad I am right but it proves I was lead down the garden path over all this.  I best not be charged for the visit on Monday as they wont be able to connect fibre.  I also asked him why  my package is called fibre when I dont get it - his answer was that its just a name and  doesnt mean i actually get it.

I have been with BT for over 40 years and i feel I have been taken for a fool over this.  Maybe I should ring openreach and talk to them - that is if I can find a way to get in touch with them

I appreciate your input - thanks 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

no point in phoning openreach as they will not help as you are not an openreach customer and will be referred back to your ISP - BT

you do have fibre to the street cabinet and then copper to your home  

you should have a connection speed of about 55 or 80mb (based on dslchecker results) depending if on fibre 1 or 2