Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dhiammara
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Confusion over package/line rental saver

Go to solution

We signed  up to BT Infinity 2 with a start date of March 2018 as soon as our exchange was enabled for fibre. We were already with BT and no promotion was available at that time - we were just grateful to finally be getting fibre having had it for years at our previous house. We also usually pay for line rental saver.

On December 10th 2020 we received an email to inform us we were now paying standard charges since our last deal ended (we weren't on a deal) - a few options were presented but we chose to leave our package as it was.

On February 16th 2021 we received an email advising 'Your prices are changing soon' and underneath the table marked 'See how your prices are changing' was the note: 'You are still within your minimum contract terms for all your BT products and services'

I knew we weren't within the minimum contract term due to the email on Dec 10th so this prompted me to login to the BT website and checked billing an our current package. 

Prior to the email on Dec 10th, our bills all showing us as being on Fibre 2 and calls. The December and January bills showed Fibre with Halo 1. I therefore called BT customer service and asked what was going on as we hadn't changed our package to Fibre with Halo 1. The adviser reassured me that no change had been made, that the email saying we were in contract was an error and that this was a nomenclature change only and that the pricing was the same at £58.99 per month.

Queue this week and our line rental saver came up for renewal. I followed the link to renew but was presented with a list of package options but no option to select line rental saver. I called BT customer service and the representative checked with his manager as to why we couldn't do this online and apparently it was because we were out of contract and needed to sign up to a new package in order to pay for line rental saver. He said we'd save a lot if we signed up to Halo 3 (just slightly under £40 per month) however I wanted to check up on the packages myself before committing to anything.

I'm aware that companies are meant to be offering existing customers the same offers as new customers, but the issue for me is that I can't see all the available packages on the BT website. Logged in as an existing customer I'm seeing that we're on 'Fibre with Halo 1' with a recommended option of Fibre Halo 3.

However, I can see that other users on this forum are still referring to being on Fibre 2 (as we were and hadn't changed). If I select that we're a new user the deals shown are for Fibre Essential (£24.99 for 24 months), Fibre 1 (£27.99 for 24 months) and Fibre 2 (£29.99 for 24 months).

I should point out that we're rural, and after initial speed problems, we get the best speed we can possibly get here so a package upgrade isn't going to give us any better speeds.

Questions

1) Should Fibre 2 with calls still be showing on our bills, as we didn't change our package?

2) Since Fibre 2 is still being offered to new customers on the BT website can we still ask to remain on that package?

3) Is there anywhere to view all the packages and prices that are actually available to us, and not just the one or two BT deign to show us online?

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Confusion over package/line rental saver

Go to solution

Fibre 2 is only any good to you if your existing speed is greater than 55mb shown in your router down connection speed.

I would suggest you phone the options team and se what option they offer and available to you  if you don't like any then don't accept 0800800030

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Dhiammara
Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Our speed does exceed 55Mb which is why we were happy on Fibre 2.

Are others actually on Fibre 2, and are their bills also now showing Fibre with Halo 1? Forgive me for being suspicious about whether I've been given correct information from BT customer service. I fully intend to call back but want as much information as possible before doing so, and advice on whether the information given previously was actually correct.

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Guru
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Look at your bill, it will state the package you're on and the price, line rental saver is reflected by an additional £19.99 credit against the cost of the line/bb bundle.

0 Ratings
Dhiammara
Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Hi Ritchie,

Thank you for your reply.

I'm aware of what line rental saver is, and how the £19.99 adjustment appears on the bill. The problem is that the package name has changed on our bills since December (see my initial post) but we did NOT change our package from Fibre 2 with calls. We've been informed yesterday we can't renew line rental saver until we take out a new contract.

0 Ratings
Dhiammara
Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

Hi imjolly,

I phoned the Options Team back just now, and the gentlemen I just spoke to quickly read out the details related to connection speeds before discussing prices but the speeds quoted were lower than we currently received. He said that if we sign up to a new package our speeds will now go down as they've extended the number of connections at the exchange; the page for signing up as a new customer quotes the same speeds that our package provides (he said to ignore that as new customers would also get reduced speeds). So if we want to maintain our current speeds we can't sign up to a new package and therefore can't take out line rental saver either. Wonderful!

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Guru
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

@Dhiammarawrote:

I called BT customer service and the representative checked with his manager as to why we couldn't do this online and apparently it was because we were out of contract and needed to sign up to a new package in order to pay for line rental saver.

This is incorrect, you don't need to renew the broadband term for line rental saver.

@Dhiammarawrote:

Prior to the email on Dec 10th, our bills all showing us as being on Fibre 2 and calls. The December and January bills showed Fibre with Halo 1.

BT gave a lot of existing customers a free upgrade, you now have everything you signed up to with Fibre 2 but with Halo benefits, so you get the keep connected promise, double BT Mobile data and other perks for nothing extra per month, your contract was not renewed, you still have free weekend calls if you had them prior, nothing is taken away.

@Dhiammarawrote:

Questions

1) Should Fibre 2 with calls still be showing on our bills, as we didn't change our package?

2) Since Fibre 2 is still being offered to new customers on the BT website can we still ask to remain on that package?

3) Is there anywhere to view all the packages and prices that are actually available to us, and not just the one or two BT deign to show us online?

Thanks in advance.

1) Not if you were given a free upgrade, which it sounds like you have been given.
2) You can do but you lose the free perks that you have now, Halo only adds to Fibre 2, you don't lose anything.
3) No, MyBT will show personalised offers for what you have now or upgrades, to downgrade or negotiate speak with the Loyalty team on 0800 800 150 as they are retention based.

-Richie-
Guru
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

@Dhiammarawrote:

I phoned the Options Team back just now, and the gentlemen I just spoke to quickly read out the details related to connection speeds before discussing prices but said that if we sign up to a new package our speeds will now go down as they've extended the number of connections at the exchange; the page for signing up as a new customer quotes the same speeds that our package provides (he said to ignore that as new customers would also get reduced speeds). So if we want to maintain our current speeds we can't sign up to a new package and therefore can't take out line rental saver either. Wonderful!

Also incorrect, Fibre 2 and Halo have the same service line type (SLT) that you have now, either of them packages won't see your speed change, the most likely reason is more people are now using more bandwidth, so the speed available is what you have now, just lower than you previously contractually agreed to, the estimated speeds are based on the connection you have now and previous few months.
BT recently (January I think) changed how they estimate speeds, so it's more accurate.

Honestly speak with them, negotiate a price you're happy with, If you can't find an offer that appeals remain on a rolling contract, renew your line rental if you want, you do not have to renew the broadband to do so.

Dhiammara
Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

@-Richie-wrote:

@Dhiammarawrote:

I called BT customer service and the representative checked with his manager as to why we couldn't do this online and apparently it was because we were out of contract and needed to sign up to a new package in order to pay for line rental saver.

This is incorrect, you don't need to renew the broadband term for line rental saver.

Thank you. I've spoken to two representatives (yesterday and today) who both said we couldn't renew line rental saver unless we were in contract. I've always renewed online and the email link doesn't even mention line rental saver so am unable to do so myself.

@Dhiammarawrote:

Prior to the email on Dec 10th, our bills all showing us as being on Fibre 2 and calls. The December and January bills showed Fibre with Halo 1.

BT gave a lot of existing customers a free upgrade, you now have everything you signed up to with Fibre 2 but with Halo benefits, so you get the keep connected promise, double BT Mobile data and other perks for nothing extra per month, your contract was not renewed, you still have free weekend calls if you had them prior, nothing is taken away.

That make sense. A lot of confusion would have been avoided if they'd sent an email saying that they had given a free upgrade. I've retained all emails received and there was no mention of doing so.

@Dhiammarawrote:

Questions

Thanks in advance.

1) Not if you were given a free upgrade, which it sounds like you have been given.
2) You can do but you lose the free perks that you have now, Halo only adds to Fibre 2, you don't lose anything.
3) No, MyBT will show personalised offers for what you have now or upgrades, to downgrade or negotiate speak with the Loyalty team on 0800 800 150 as they are retention based.

1. I suspect you're right although it was a free upgrade had never been communicated, hence the confusion.

2. From what you've said, the keep connected promise sounds good. The mobile benefits aren't relevant to us.

3. I'll try the Loyalty team next and see what they say.

0 Ratings
Dhiammara
Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

@-Richie-wrote:

@Dhiammarawrote:

I phoned the Options Team back just now, and the gentlemen I just spoke to quickly read out the details related to connection speeds before discussing prices but said that if we sign up to a new package our speeds will now go down as they've extended the number of connections at the exchange; the page for signing up as a new customer quotes the same speeds that our package provides (he said to ignore that as new customers would also get reduced speeds). So if we want to maintain our current speeds we can't sign up to a new package and therefore can't take out line rental saver either. Wonderful!

Also incorrect, Fibre 2 and Halo have the same service line type (SLT) that you have now, either of them packages won't see your speed change, the most likely reason is more people are now using more bandwidth, so the speed available is what you have now, just lower than you previously contractually agreed to, the estimated speeds are based on the connection you have now and previous few months.
BT recently (January I think) changed how they estimate speeds, so it's more accurate.

Honestly speak with them, negotiate a price you're happy with, If you can't find an offer that appeals remain on a rolling contract, renew your line rental if you want, you do not have to renew the broadband to do so.

The product details we have now quote:

Normal available speeds
Your normal available download speed will be between 59-73 Mbps
Your normal available upload speed will be between 17-18 Mbps

Minimum guaranteed download speed
Your minimum guaranteed download speed will be 53 Mbps

The figures quoted today for Fibre with Halo 1 were:

Normal available speeds
Your normal available download speed will be between 50-55 Mbps
Your normal available upload speed will be between 14-16 Mbps

Minimum guaranteed download speed
Your minimum guaranteed download speed will be 45 Mbps

I'm happy to take out an acceptable package. It seems like they're literally trying to make signing into a contract as unappealing as possible. As I mentioned above, I'll give the Loyalty Team a try.
0 Ratings