Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
dcdick
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 18

Connection to new build

Go to solution

We are on the verge of moving to a new bungalow...............Infinity is not available at the new address (bungalow too far from street cabinet)

BT Connections can only offer ADSL @ £18 per month with a speed of up to 6mb

This is the same price as I pay at my current address for Infinity II..................

If I do not take broadband & go only with the phone line I have to pay £130 "installation" charge for an engineers visit.

All the sockets are installed in the property, the cabling is piped in (underground cable)............. so what is the engineer going to install ?

I'm a O.A.P. & contrary to popular belief we are not all  "well off" ........ the property we are moving to is a "retired persons" estate/facility & we are to be tenants.

The "customer advisor" while pleasant & apologetic said the above option is all that is available

Almost 50 years of being a BT customer counts for nothing as they chase "new business" almost exclusively these days.

Can I end my contract on the basis of BT being unable to supply infinity broadband at the new property ?

How on earth can BT justifie charging the same for BT InfinityII (70 +mb) as ADSL @ between2 - 6mb ?

Can anybody help/suggest a solution ?

Dissapointed doesn't even get close to how I feel about this

D*ick

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Re: Connection to new build

Go to solution
The £130 is a connection fee. It's not purely for an Engineer to come out and run cables here or there.

For a start it's a New Build so will require a NDVR Installation. That's,

New Development Visit Required.

Basically even though the internal wiring/fit has been done it still requires an Engineer visit to prove the pair back to the Exchange so they have the correct Routing Records for your circuit.

Also there's all the behind the scenes stuff, it's not just a case of a Sales Operator places an order and then the next and only involvement is the Engineer visit.

You'll also have the people who people who build your ADSL profile, the guy who sorts your number and assigns it to a LIC or Concentrator, the Frames Tech who jumpers the LIC/Concentrator to the ADSL Equipment, then worker at the distribution centre to arrange the delivery of your hub and all the other stuff that I don't know about.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution
the charges are for connection to the street cabinet and work at the exchange as for the charges for infinity and ADSL the charge is for the connection not the speed all providers charge similar amounts
0 Ratings
dcdick
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

I understand the reasons/procedure you outline (there's no products to deliver) Bob  Smiley Happy

The problem I have is that in our current property (new build back then when broadband was in it's infancy (ADSL) there was no connection/installation fees as I was brining a live contract with me.

This time I can only avoid the £130 fee by agreeing to pay £18 per month for a broadband speed of only a couple of meg (2-6 quoted)

That's more than I'm paying now for InfinityII

I also have to revert to the most basic of TV connections no BT Sport/HD etc.........

There is a fibre street cab around 5/600 mtrs from our new property............it could possibly be that the BT juggernaut hasn't caught up to the fact that infinity is a possibility as the post codes were only issued 4 days ago

**Edited by Mod**

Why does it have to be so bl**dy complicated ?

D*ick

0 Ratings
dcdick
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution
Re: Connection to new build [ New ] 

the charges are for connection to the street cabinet and work at the exchange as for the charges for infinity and ADSL the charge is for the connection not the speed all providers charge similar amounts

Not all providers charge these amounts John46............. ADSL is available (as a new customer) at less than £2 per month from other providers

D*ick
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution
If you're 500/600m from the DSLAM then you should be able to get VDSL.

If the cable gauge is good, say 0.5 Copper all the way back to the DSLAM I'd expected you to get at least 40 to 60mbps maybe even a bit more.

I'm just under 500m from my DSLAM (ECI). About 280m of the cable is 0.5 copper that was put in when the estate was built in about 1993/1994. Theres then a 200m section that was put in about 2 years ago after the Council damaged it when dropping kerbs for people's driveways. I get about 66/19. It would be more if the cabinet had Vectoring switched back on in it but that's another story.
0 Ratings
dcdick
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

That's what I thought Bob...........

The cabling is new on the (small) estate that is surrounded on 3 sides by other housing...........according to a map I looked at  (broadband street stats) map to see what BT speeds are  North, East & South of us are recorded in the range 40.4 - 54mb broadly in line with your thoughts (there is one from another provider recorded @ 83mb) so the capacity would seem to be there.  The street cabinet is East of us

I'm presuming (hoping) that the cabling into our small estate is directly connected to the street cabinet ( where we are moving from there was a small development built that had the telephone lines run direct from the street cab, watched them do it) but unless I can find a friendly Openreach engineer I can't verify that is the case in the new place.

There could be a (slight) chance that because things are so new (postcodes only issued 4 days ago) perhaps the exchange hasn't caught up yet........... I noticed another provider was offering me a broadband connection rated at "0" mbs  Smiley LOL

I'm over there in the morning & there's a couple of people have moved in already (sky dishes fitted) so I'll knock on the doors to see if they will share  what they are getting broadband wise

Just checked on one of those internet "best buy" sites & BT are indeed offering InfinityI at my new postcode along with the usual suspects from other providers.................. could well be that the call center (& the BT.com site) that I tried to set up with have not been informed yet Smiley Wink

D*ck

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution
Can you post back the results of this checker editing out your phone number

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput

you will need to give it several weeks for the Openreach checker to update

the reason the other provider was offering 0Mbps was because as of yet there is no line data available yet
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution
also the checker data is only accurate with a phone number or address and post code as the postcode on its own can cover large areas and more than one cabinet
0 Ratings
dcdick
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

ADSL.jpg

Agree's with BT call center & disagrees with speeds posted on comparison sites.................. all alittle bit strange (I think)

D*ck

0 Ratings