Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 18

Re: Connection to new build

Go to solution
that checker is the one used by the majority of providers use for orders

you will need to have an active phone line to get the most accurate result from the checker

the comparison sites tend to use data from speedtests on their sites and they are at best estimates were the BT whole sale results are gathered from actual line data that is why you need to have an active phone line first
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 12 of 18

Go to solution
Yeah, like John says you really need a telephone number to get an accurate result.

Using the post code is all well and good but as it's a New Build it might not be looking at the that specific street, if putting in say AB10 C10 it might not recognise it and just search AB10 as a whole.

Do you have a working number of someone else in the street you can try putting into the checker.

The opposite happened to my ex wife. She bought a new build and the post code checked said VDSL speeds of up to 45mbps were available.

When the line was activated though turns out her new part of the estate that was fed by 3 cabs was on the newest of the 3 that didn't have a DSLAM.

Problem was the post code checker saw the X amount of houses round the corner had it so probably assumed she could as well. Bit of a **bleep** because the 3rd PCP's supplies service to the last phase of the estate that's only about a 120 houses so no doubt Openreach will now just turn around and say it not financiallly viable without some kind of community funding.
0 Ratings
dcdick
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 18

Go to solution

John46, Bob

Using the post code in the "checker" does bring up my new house by number.

Using an address around 40mtrs from my new address gives a speed of almost 50mbs (outside of the new build)

We're up there later today & there are 3 or 4 people already moved in & they should be able to confirm the "speeds"

The bb speed is not the problem as it is what it is & I cannot change that until Openreach sort things out.

It's the cost.................... I am being asked to pay the same amount for a basic  "slow"ADSL connection as I'm paying now for a InfinityII connection with all it's "extras".

This is given as the only option to avoid paying the £130 "connection" fee.

If I cannot get out of my current contract I will have to serve the 12 months offered & change provider which I do not really want to do as BT for all its "foibles" is a good service for my needs

More to follow  Smiley Happy

D*ck

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 18

Go to solution
I suspect once your line goes live, the databases will update and align, and you'll be able to order Infinity.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Message 15 of 18

Go to solution
Costs change all the time. At the time you took out Infinity 2 back then might have been a special offer that's come and gone.

Me and 3 others in my street have Infinity 2 via VDSL. I can virtually guarantee we won't all be paying the same price.
0 Ratings
dcdick
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 18

Go to solution

It seems that ADSL @3.4mbs is the only current option as fibre is at the street cab but is not currently available to our new property by any providor as yet.

Oh well, ....... BT wins again Smiley Frustrated

D*ck.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 18

Go to solution
Once your line goes live, the databases may take a couple of weeks to update, and if you're connected to a fibre cab it'll be available to order
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
dcdick
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 18

Go to solution

Once your line goes live, the databases may take a couple of weeks to update, and if you're connected to a fibre cab it'll be available to order

0 Ratings