Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Contacting a moderator please - reporting and resolving identity fraud

Help!

I have been the victim of identity fraud, and someone has opened a BT mobile account in my name, using my address and date of birth.

The first I knew of this was a letter to me from BT saying my payment could no longer be accepted by direct debit (assume this was because the bank account the fraudster used was identified as fraudulent and closed). I also noticed a search on my credit rating (Experian) account on the date this was applied for (and this has impacted my credit score).

I called BT to report this fraud. The first two times I called the person on the other end refused to believe this could happen and ended hanging up on me. The second insisted I needed to report this to ActionFraud rather than BT. The third time I rang (total time on phone 1h 30m) I got through to someone who took my report seriously and stated the first thing to do was cancel the account. She then said she was going to transfer me to the cyber security team to get my credit record search reversed. 30 minutes of holding and I ended up speaking to a non-customer facing person who didn’t know what was going on and couldn’t help, so hung up on me.

Subsequent to this I then received 2 emails from BT saying the fraudulent account was closed, but as I had cancelled, I was due to pay the full amount of the contract (including top end iPhone). But this was exactly what I wanted to sort out – I didn’t open the account – it was identify fraud.

I am now very concerned I’m about to get a huge bill that I didn’t incur, and no-one at BT seems to have a clue who I should speak to to get this resolved. Help

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Contacting a moderator please - reporting and resolving identity fraud

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

Highlighted
Message 3 of 5

Hi @nnapier, sorry that you have had this experience and that it was not handled correctly when you called us. I've sent you a Private Message with details on how to contact the Mod team and we will be happy to help you get this resolved.

cheers
John

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 5

I've sent a private message with all the detail. Look forward to your response. Thanks so much for your help.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Thanks Keith for your help.
I've sent full details to the Mod via private message.
0 Ratings