cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
captainkirk
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Contract Cooling Off Period

I'm just wondering if I sign the new contract that they want me to for 18 months (I still have 12 of original left) am I entitled when I've signed the new contract to terminate it under the distance selling act within 14 days?

I really don't mind having to recontract in order to get the bt sports free (other half loves his football) but what I do object to is new customers only having to sign for 12 months and at half the price they wish to force me into resigning for.  Would be quite happy to bring tv/broadband and line rental all into a new 12 month period together but this 18 month recontracting is really unfair for existing customers. 

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Contract Cooling Off Period

I thought to get BT sport free you needed at least 12 months left on your contract  try the options team and see if they can help  they are uk based  0800800030

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
captainkirk
Contributor
Message 3 of 12

They are adamant that you must sign an 18 month contract - anyone new is offered a 12 month contract from today including the bt sports package

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/tv-packages

That's what is so annoying!

Do you think it is possible to cancel under the cooling off period rules if I sign a new contract?

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 12

From this link  http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/c/6401/a_id/53767

this applies

How do I get BT Sport Lite?

BT Sport Lite is only available to customers with BT Broadband. If you're on BT Sport Lite, you'll have access to BT Sport 1, BT Sport 2 and BT Sport ESPN until 1 August. From then on, you'll just have access to BT Sport 1.

If you're an existing BT Sport Pack customer on BT TV, or the BT Sport App and online player, you can downgrade to BT Sport Lite with no change to your broadband contract status.

To me if you have BT Sport and access it online via a laptop , not TV, you can request a downgrade and if there is still 12 months on your contract then the end date doesn't change.

I actually recontracted bb + phone on 12 June , downgraded to Sport Lite on the 17 June and have had it confirmed verbally and by live chat that my contract end date for everything is still 11 June 2016.

0 Ratings
captainkirk
Contributor
Message 5 of 12

We have BT tv Conrad with a bt youview box - we want the BT sports package - when we signed the 18 month contract for broadband I didn't realise that you wouldn't be able to get sports on the tv without a bit of hassle - when I telephoned up a very nice lady sorted out the BT tv for £5 a month extra with the youview box so other half could just turn on the tv and watch!  That left us with an 18 month broadband contract and 12 month tv contract of which there is 12 months left on broadband.  We still want BT sports - its the forced tying in to another 18 month contract that I am annoyed about especially when new customers only have to sign for 12 months and get it cheaper to.  I am quite happy to sign everything up for another 12 months at the price we pay now so it is all in together (we have all day calls too) but ransoming me to an 18 month contract seems really unfair.   I was told by a member of the options team the other day that they absolutely have to tie everyone into these 18 month contracts because of the amount of money they have spent on football rights - fine - but why are new customers only having to sign for 12 months if that is the case!

Hence my original question - if I sign a new 18 month contract like BT are forcing me to, can I then cancel under the cooling off period?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 12

What would cancelling within 14 days achieve?  Assuming that you haven't asked for the service to start within that 14 days, then you would just go back to where you were before the cancelled upgrade.

0 Ratings
captainkirk
Contributor
Message 7 of 12

But it is not an upgrade is it?  It's a new contract that you are being 'forced' into signing so I am assuming that as soon as they make me recontract it is a new contract and therefore if I can cancel within the 14 days then I am under no obligation to an old contract and can look elsewhere.   Bt probably have this all tied up in the small print somewhere but I would like clarification of the point if possible.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

You may find that agreeing to a new "minimum term" gives you the free BTSports or other discounts  but it is the same contract that you presently have, and as an existing customer it is not a 'new customer arrangement' so the right of cancellation may not apply.

You also may not get a cooling off period because you agree to have the service start right away, which as you already have the service would mean you have agreed to that.

See link for cooling off info in relation to the Distance Selling Regs.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/different-ways-of-buying/buying-by-internet-mail-order-or...

0 Ratings
captainkirk
Contributor
Message 9 of 12

That's what I wondered - but where do you find this information among the BT pages. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 12

@captainkirk wrote:

where do you find this information among the BT pages. 

Spoiler
index.jpg
--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings