cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Contract Overcharged for 15 Months

Has anyone had issue with BT overcharging on the account and getting a refund?

I cancelled BT Sport November 2020 and at the same time renewed my contract for Landline and Broadband only.  

i recently received notification of a price increase via the post and on it it gave an increase value for BT Sport which I no longer had with BT. 

when I rang BT,  the operative could see on my account that I cancelled Sport 15 months ago then told me they would only refund 3 Months and not the 15 months they had overcharged me.  She went on to say it was my fault for not checking, which amazed me.  

I agreed to a new Contract over the phone for  Landline and Broadband only, yet they have charged me for additional service that I did not agree to so in my mind they are in Breach of Contract.   I put in a complaint via email and they have come back stating it is my fault and also mentioning that I had a fault in May 2021 and should of checked my billing then. They have increased the refund offer to 6 Months, which again is laughable. I know the next step is the ombudsman, but I think they work in BT’s favour so think my only option now is small claims.  This  is now not just about the money which is £350 but the principle and the fact they are putting the blame on me when it was their error. Has anyone else taken BT to court?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Contract Overcharged for 15 Months

You must have received confirmation from BT after you renewed you contract so if you go to MYBT you should be able to check what was included unless you didnt check the new contract and terms and it does show BT SPORT

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Hi

I have the contract info downloaded ready for ombudsman and County Court. I have one order clearly showing  BT Sport Cancellation and the new contract stating Landline and Broadband only

i

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

So are you saying it's taken 15 months to notice this on your account? Do you not check your bills? If so, why didn't you query it 14 months ago? 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

@NigelB72 wrote:

So are you saying it's taken 15 months to notice this on your account? Do you not check your bills? If so, why didn't you query it 14 months ago? 

As one who habitually checks all their transactions I can't argue with the sentiment behind that reply. Such checking is not a contractual obligation on BT customers though, while it is incumbent on BT to action the agreed terms accurately.

Unless there's something the OP has overlooked, it seems to me that BT is wholly liable to correct the error. Their refund offers are tantamount to admission of liability and it would be interesting to know what legal force allows them to restrict the refund as a kind of punishment for the perceived negligence of the OP.

I hope @Debbryn01 will be able to report back here on the successful outcome of their case.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Message 6 of 12

I would ask the bank for a refund under the direct debit guarantee if BT have acknowledged their mistake. May be quicker than going through the court but I don't know how far back the bank would go.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

No I don’t check my bills, as I assumed I would be charged as per the agreed contract plus any additional call charges and VAT and the amount of my DD was consistent each month. 

When I had paper bills I did check them, but BT charge £3 for that too.  That is how I noticed they were charging me as I had a letter increasing my contract.

I am also sure if BT made the mistake and forgot to bill me they would come after me for the money owed to them and I would not get away with only 3 months payback !!!

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Thank you, I did not think of that.  I would hope the Bank would then chase BT for the money back

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

@Debbryn01 wrote:

Thank you, I did not think of that.  I would hope the Bank would then chase BT for the money back

@Debbryn01  I assume that's a reply to the post about direct debit. Think carefully about that because the DD guarantee only provides for individual payments to be recovered and returned to the customer. If you recall one in an attempt to right an earlier wrong you're likely to end up with a missed payment and that can bring much grief.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Yes I have been overcharged by BT. They have been charging me for eleven months for a TV add-on that I do not have. They also told me it was my own fault for not checking my bill. I too am paperless and pay by direct debit. I wrongly assumed that a reputable organisation would have some decency and morals. I have been offered three months rebate which I have not accepted. They say they will "look into it" and get back to me in a "few days". 

0 Ratings