cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alekc
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Contract cancellation and new tenant moving in triggering early termination charge.

My minimum contract term expires on 13/11. Since I will be moving to a new property on 5th of Oct, I wanted to give a notice today (a bit in advance) for my contract to be terminated on that day (so that I won't be charged any early termination fee but only 30£ line disconnection). 

This possibility has been confirmed to me by BT customer team (through live chat) on 2 different occasions. However, when I spoke with cancellation team today I have been told that if a new tenant asks to install new BB on that property, I will be charged early cancellation for that line, which seems a bit strange to me (since new tenant would be paying for Openreach engineer to deal with line installation and I still would pay for remaining contract period on my line). 

Can someone confirm/deny this?

Thanks. 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Contract cancellation and new tenant moving in triggering early termination charge.

You can't stop the new tenant asking for a new BB install. If they do BT will write to you at your old address saying someone else wants to take over your landline (to prevent slamming) & giving you 2 weeks to say "No". If you don't get that letter or reply within 2 weeks BT will cease your BB. If this occurs before your min. term is up you'll have to pay early termination fees (of about 3 weeks). You'll just have to take the hit. You did contract until 13 Nov.

alekc
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Re: Contract cancellation and new tenant moving in triggering early termination charge.

@XRaySpeX

I do realise that I can't stop them from taking over BB, however honestly I fail to see why should I be slammed with early termination fee (which includes broadband equipment) if I am willing to pay till the end of the minimum contract period. 

I might be wrong but in this case total amount of early termination fees (including hub) would exceed agreed payments till 13/11 + disconnection charge.

Is it possible to pay in advance what I am due and avoid equipment return fee?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

I have notified the moderators of the forum and asked them if they could clarify this for you.

Once they have read this they should be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. They are very busy at present so once you have replied to them by the link, it can take over 48 hours for them to re-contact you.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Hi @alekc,

Placing an order to stop your service, would stop anyone from being able to take over that line. This means that anyone moving into that address would not be able to take over that service until your stop order completes.

If you leave the property on the 5th of October but request that the service be stopped on the 13th of November. This would leave the service active and means that anyone that has access to the property would be still be able to use that service.  If any additional charges are raised against your account during that period, you would be held responsible.

Your best bet would be to move your service to your new address, if possible or to pay the early termination charges for stopping your service while still inside the minimum contract term.

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
alekc
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

Thanks @PaddyB

Just to confirm: In case I ask to terminate my contract earlier (by paying in full whatever remains till the end of minimum contract term, will I be chargeable for bt hub (and if yes is it a full 65£ or is it calculated as rate)?

Unfortunately I can't move current line to new address. 

Also, regarding possible additional charges: I can always use Call Barring, is that right? 

Thanks. 

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 8

Early termination charges are usually much less then the normal monthly rental. For 1 thing they are not liable to VAT & also they are set on a fixed scale. 

e.g. Unlimited BT Infinity 1 + Unlimited Weekend Calls currently sells for £34.99/mth but its ETC is £18 / month.

alekc
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

@XRaySpeX Yes, ususally that would be the case (ETC are smaller then outstanding value), but I am more concerned about little burried "trick" of defered equipment charge which potentially would cost me 65£

What will I be charged? What you're charged depends on how long is left to run on your minimum 
contract period. The tables in this section show how much you're charged for each month
remaining. So for example, if you have exactly six months left on your telephone service
Unlimited Weekend Calls minimum contract period, you'll have to pay a charge of £8.50
multiplied by six, which is £51.00. You may also have to pay a charge for any equipment
we have provided at a reduced cost for use with the service you are ending – see our terms
and conditions or Tariff Guide for more details.

And on page 66 of http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/assets/pdf/BT_PhoneTariff_Residential.pdf

We’ll supply a BT Home Hub to all new BT Total Broadband or BT Infinity customers. The standard price of the BT Home Hub is up to £129.00 (depending on model supplied). We
may let you delay paying for the BT Home Hub for up to 12 months from the date that we accept your order. If you don’t pay for the BT Home Hub in full when you place your order,
you’ll normally have to pay the full price either 12 months after we accept your order or at the point that you end the service – whichever is the earlier. But if you keep the service for
at least 12 months from the date that we accept your order, we’ll waive that payment. If you end the service within 12 months of us accepting your order, we’ll waive part of the
payment, but you’ll still have to pay up to £65.00 (depending on model supplied) towards the full cost of your BT Home Hub. Existing BT Broadband customers requesting a
replacement hub may be supplied with a reconditioned hub. A reconditioned hub is one which has been reconditioned to an “as new” standard and is supplied with the same 12
month warranty that would apply to a brand new hub.

I.e. 

https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/Deferred-payment-for-equipment/td-p/1298363

0 Ratings