Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
john16
Contributor
Message 1 of 19

Contract end

Go to solution

My broadband contract ends on 23rd November and my line rental saver on 5th December, i have spoken to the " Value " team and got no satisfaction, so i wish to leave BT. Told by the advisor that i still have to give 30 days notice to leave even though my contract ends on 23rd Nov. Is this correct and with my line rental saver being out of sync. how will that effect it.

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: Contract end

Go to solution

If you are leaving BT and NOT going to another ISP you need to give 30 days notice even if your minimum term has ended. If you are moving to another ISP you must give 14 days notice even if you are out of your minimum term.

You will be charged for any line rental that is due on a monthly basis.

0 Ratings
john16
Contributor
Message 3 of 19

Go to solution

Advisor told me 30 days.

0 Ratings
john16
Contributor
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution

So is contract for broadband only, no contract as such for line rental saver.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution

You are on a 30  day contract but when you sign up you agree to a minimum term of a year or 18 month or what ever so that you can get a discount over that period. When the minimum term is finished you are still on a 30 day contract, that is why you need to give 30 days notice to leave BT however if you are going to another ISP, except Virgin, you only need to give 14 days notice.

The advisor possibly said 30 days because you may have asked him "how many days notice do I need to give to leave BT" in which case it is 30 days.

If you asked "how many days notice do I need to give to leave BT and move to another ISP" you should have been told 14 days.

The line rental is on a 30 day contract but if you leave BT the above applies and you will be charged accordingly.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 19

Go to solution

your contract will be a package broadband and line rental as you cannot have broadband without line rental  when you m,ove ISP you will get a new package for broadband and line rental and new ISP will inform BT to terminate your conenction

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
VeteranISPUser
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution

@john16wrote:

Advisor told me 30 days.

Hi @john16. If you are going to another provider then you don’t give any notice to BT. In fact this will only complicate things and you may lose your number. Simply sign up with the new provider and they will do everything. It takes a minimum of 14 days to switch. If it was me I would wait until 21 Nov to start the switching process. 

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Guru
Message 8 of 19

Go to solution

Just to add that as you've paid line rental in advance, leaving will see any remaining weeks lost as line retal saver is non-refundable.

Personally I would ring BT back and speak to the Loyalty team, they're more retention based than Value who are more sales based.

0 Ratings
john16
Contributor
Message 9 of 19

Go to solution

Would i then be charged full price for another months broadband, i am currently paying about £41 for infinity 2 on special deal until 23rd Nov.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 19

Go to solution

You will be charged a pro rata rate right up to the day you leave.

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12818/~/what%E2%80%99s-this-cancellation-charge-for%...

0 Ratings