cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jonnybrussell
Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Contract renewal rip off

Ok so month every month we pay our bt bill - our account was in credit.

Last month the remote started acting up (we were well out of our previous contract) however when i contacted BT they said if  I renewed my contract I would get a new box and my package price would actually come down slightly.

I was told there would be no extra charges, and that my direct debit dates would stay the same and that my monthly amount would decrease slightly.

So what happened?

1) The Direct debit did not come out on the usual date - BT tried to take a few days later than normal

2) The Direct debit amount did NOT decrease - it WENT UP by roughly 50%

3) The direct debit was returned ( we left enough in that account to cover the usual amount but not 50% more

4) They resubmitted the increased direct debit and took the extra money

5) They ignored an emailed formal complaint

6) live chat today was a complete joke

The details are

Including bt infinity our whole package comes to £88.89 per month - we have been paying £97.50 per month which keeps our account in credit

However because i renewed the contract BT took £141.50 !!! 

now apparently this is to clear the 'balance' - I questioned this because how can ther be an outstanding balance when we paid more than our bill EVERY month.

So according to Live chat i have been billed for 

Line Rental 8 May-7 Aug 15 £ 50.97
BT Answer 1571 8 May-7 Aug 15 £ 5.55
Broadband and Calls 8 May-7 Aug 15 £ 72.30
Refund: BT TV- Unlimited ExtraW24 Apr-7 May 15 - £ 7.00
Subscription
Refund: Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2W23 Apr-7 May 15 - £ 11.00
Refund: Sky MoviesW23 Apr-7 May 15 - £ 6.75
BT TV - Entertainment 23 Apr-7 May 15 £ 3.73
BT TV - Entertainment 8 May-7 Aug 15 £ 22.35
Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2 23 Apr-7 May 15 £ 11.00
Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2 8 May-7 Aug 15 £ 66.00
Sky Movies 23 Apr-7 May 15 £ 6.75
Sky Movies 8 May-7 Aug 15 £ 40.50
BT Sport HD Pack 20 Apr-7 May 15 £ 1.80
BT Sport HD Pack 8 May-7 Aug 15 £ 9.00

now perhaps someone can help explain this to me because it looks like as a result of me renewing my contract (i was told there would be no extra charges) that i am being billed now for services up until August !!!

Apparently a superivisor will contact me within 24-48 hours .... I wont hold my breath

So beware - if you renew your contract it WILL cost you more money even if they tell you it wont...in my case it has cost me £52.61 plus bank charges for my 'FREE' bt vision box

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
rarmitage124
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 18

Re: Contract renewal rip off

Im sorry to hear about this. If the advisior does not phone back post back I will try to get MOD help for you

If my post has been useful, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If I have answered your question correctly please let me know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution' Thanks
0 Ratings
jonnybrussell
Contributor
Message 3 of 18

cheers

most frustrating thing is we had exactly the same problem when our broadband was renewed .... eventually they admited they were wrong and apologised saying it would never happen again.

well here we are 😞

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

try online chat

live chat

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
jonnybrussell
Contributor
Message 5 of 18

I tried online chat

I tried 'escaletd' on line chat

now waiting for a 'supervisor' to call me .... never happened last time - doubt it will happen this time.

basically our entire bt bill is £88.89 a month (£266.67 a quarter)

we pay £97.50 every month (£292.50 a quarter)

(its extremely rare for any extras to be added) 

so we are roughly £25.83 in credit every quarter.

BUT because we renewed our contract they tried to take £141.50 

and i have just discovered they have charged us  £10.80 for bt sport hd !!!!!!!!

and they still havent activated netflix.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

if online chat can't help sort this out then see if mods can  they will post a contact us link

contact mods.jpg

After completing the email NOT PM then you join a queue of other customers waiting for mod help. The mods will get back to you in 3/5 working days either by phone or email

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 18

Hi jonnybrussell,

Thanks for posting. I'm really sorry for the hassle you're having getting this sorted. I'll be happy to take a closer look at this for you. Can you please drop me an email with your details? Click on my username for the contact us link.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
jonnybrussell
Contributor
Message 8 of 18

hi,

replied to link but i put the wrong url in

redone with correct url

0 Ratings
jonnybrussell
Contributor
Message 9 of 18

well the 48 hours for a supervisor to call has passed and not surprisingly - no call.

no email.....in fact complete silence.

I suspect the only thing that might spring them into actually doing something will be legal action. Just another example of shocking customer care by BT.

Its as if they dont want to keep their existing customers

0 Ratings
rarmitage124
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 18

It can take up to 5 days for them to reply

If my post has been useful, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If I have answered your question correctly please let me know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution' Thanks
0 Ratings