cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jonnybrussell
Contributor
Message 11 of 18

Re: Contract renewal rip off

im sorry but when im told I will get a phone call within 48 hours i dont expect to wait 5 days for it.

please excuse my frustration

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 18

If BT change a package then they normally refund any charges paid in advance on the old package and then reapply them under the new package conditions. It does seem that this is what has happened.

I don't know when your last bill was generated or what time period it covered (possibly 8 Feb - 7 May ?).

I also don't know when any package changes were applied (possibly 23 Apr ?).

So if you rearrange the items on the bill a bit it looks to me like ....

You haven't changed the Phone Line Rental

Next quarter in advance:

Line Rental 8 May-7 Aug 15 £ 50.97

You haven't changed the Broadband & Calls package

Next quarter in advance:

Broadband and Calls 8 May-7 Aug 15 £ 72.30

BT Answer 1571 8 May-7 Aug 15 £ 5.55

You have changed the BT TV package (from TV Unlimited Extra to TV Entertainment)

Refund of previous partial quarter advance payment under old package:

Refund: BT TV- Unlimited ExtraW24 Apr-7 May 15 - £ 7.00
Subscription
Refund: Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2W23 Apr-7 May 15 - £ 11.00
Refund: Sky MoviesW23 Apr-7 May 15 - £ 6.75

Recharge of previous partial quarter advance payment under new package:

BT TV - Entertainment 23 Apr-7 May 15 £ 3.73

Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2 23 Apr-7 May 15 £ 11.00

Sky Movies 23 Apr-7 May 15 £ 6.75

Next quarter in advance:
BT TV - Entertainment 8 May-7 Aug 15 £ 22.35
Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2 8 May-7 Aug 15 £ 66.00
Sky Movies 8 May-7 Aug 15 £ 40.50

You haven't changed the BT Sport HD package

Part of previous quarter:

BT Sport HD Pack 20 Apr-7 May 15 £ 1.80

Next quarter in advance:
BT Sport HD Pack 8 May-7 Aug 15 £ 9.00

Is it possible that you were on a BT Sport HD free for 3 months offer which ended on 19 Apr? That would explain why you were charged at £3 per month from 20 Apr onwards and the bill also covers part of the previous quarter.

0 Ratings
jonnybrussell
Contributor
Message 13 of 18

finally got to speak to someone from the uk team.

They apologised - said it should not have happend (again) and dd has been set at the right amount.

But this should not happen - at no point has it ever been siad to me by BT they they bill you for products in advance - which is very dishonest in my opinion.

For example sky sports is needs a months notice to cancel and yet they bill you for 3 months.

The point is I was out of contract and was paying £97.50 in total per month, if i had not renewed my contract i would have still been paying £97.50 a month (and keeping the account in credit).

BUT because i renewed the contract they changed the next dd payment to £141.50

Now that i finally spoke to someone helpful from the UK - he explained that the system does this automatically when new orders are generated BUT what the operator who arranged the package should do is go back and adjust the dd to the correct level immediately.

So a combination of a terrible automated system, a shocking policy of billing customers for services they may or may not use over the quarter and a truly clueless foreign customer support.

Heres a radical thought for BT - why not send people a bill for what they have actually used not what they might use.

I dont walk into tescos and expect to be hit with a bill for groceries i might buy, I dont expect to pay vodafone for calls i might make next month. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 18

@jonnybrussell wrote:

I was told there would be no extra charges, ...

However because i renewed the contract BT took £141.50 !!! 

now apparently this is to clear the 'balance' - I questioned this because how can ther be an outstanding balance when we paid more than our bill EVERY month.

I suspect that part of the problem is that you are on the monthly payment plan, rather than the monthly whole bill plan?  The monthly payment plan involves the BT system making future estimates for your chargeable usage such as calls. It looks like the system may have taken the package change as a reason to re-calculate the monthly estimate and as is often the case goes massively on the side of BT.

Your new package set charges look to be around £92 per month including BT Sport HD at £3. This makes £141.50 seem excessive as an estimate. Obviously though we don't know if you were actually in credit or debt before the changes or what chargeable calls you have made. It may also be trying to reset things back to a zero balance.

Have you considered whole bill direct debits which never involve any estimates?

See  http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9855/kw/payment%20plans/c/345,6375,6377

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 15 of 18

Note that I think you can choose either monthly or quarterly bills with the Whole Bill Direct Debit plan. I would think that these days most people use that plan with monthly billls. I certainly do. Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 18

@jonnybrussell wrote:

- at no point has it ever been siad to me by BT they they bill you for products in advance - which is very dishonest in my opinion.

It's the normal BT way of doing it. For example on Whole Bill Direct Debit they always charge fixed costs a billing period in advance and variable costs a billing period behind (obviously they can't know exactly what variable ones are until after the event).

When you cancel you get refunded any partial fixed costs already paid in advance. 

0 Ratings
jonnybrussell
Contributor
Message 17 of 18

well forget about me thinking this was resolved.

BT again tried to take the £141.50 - obviously this was returned (I only keep £100 in this account for the bt bill)

I got an automated call today demanding the £141.50 or else they will restrict our service

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 18

the mods will help you get it sorted but you are currently in a queue of other customers waiting for mod help all of whom consider their problem a priority hence why emails are dealt with in order of receipt.  it can take 3/5 working days for mods to contact you after submitting the email

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings