cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kern
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Contract termination

January 30, 2018: renewed my 12-month contract with BT for broadband service.

January 14, 2019: notified by BT that my contract was coming to an end. If I renewed, the new monthly payment would be £2 less than the old.

At the price quoted, the proposition was absurdly uncompetitive  compared to that offered by BT-owned Plusnet, where (a) the monthly line rental was cheaper; (b) the calls package included evening (7am to 7pm) calls as well as weekend; (c) unlimited fibre broadband at the same speed as BT's *Edited by Mod* . I would also receive a free router to replace the fast-failing BT router circa 2015. No activation charge would be made.

*Edited by Mod* 
that my contract was coming to an end, and that if I renewed, it would cost £2 less per month.

I advised BT I would not be staying on as a BT broadband customer

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Kern
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 10

*BT Internet & Phones Service: Non-renewal of contract 'penalty'???*

As at January 31st, therefore, BT-owned Plusnet began providing all (and more) the same services as did BT in the contract period up to January 30th.

I now have a final bill from BT which, regardless of the fact that BT itself notified me that my contract was coming to an end, and also regardless of the fact that the Plusnet contract did not commence until after that contract's ending, it requires a further month's payment from myself.

As I don't believe a supplier which itself has given notice of upcoming contract termination is fairly entitled to then levy a 'penalty' for not renewing that contract, I'm just checking here with the community to see if this is indeed what BT is doing under its so-called '30-days customer termination notice' policy or if, in this case, some kind of error has occurred in the billing calculation.

I actually suspect that no error has occurred and that though BT itself provided me with end-of-contract notice it contends that it is entitled to levy a further month's charge anyway.

Clarification appreciated from any forum member here; needless to add, if no billing error has occurred here then I'll pass this over to my local MP to take up with the regulator in regard to unfair terms & contract provision: a contract which runs 12-months is just that, 12 months; BT's attempt to gouge a 13th month strikes me as wholly unacceptable.

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 10

Re: *BT Internet & Phones Service: Non-renewal of contract 'penalty'???*

It's not that obvious what the issue is, if it's that you are 'paying' for BT services after Plusnet have taken over  your service, then it's quite normal ( given that a billing run was instigated before you moved ) for a bill to be issued , any days charged for by BT after Plusnet took over are eventually refunded ( so if you pay by DD best not to cancel the DD yet)...providing the usual migration process is used, then the actual day Plusnet took over is the end date of the revised BT bill ,  and the day after is when the Plusnet bill starts.

As far as how good or bad the retention offer was, calling and speaking to the retention team with the price a competitor that you are considering is offering  , could get you a better offer to keep your custom , but that isn't unique to BT, it's the way most operate , and the initial offer on the 'your minimum term is ending' letter is not likely to be the best and final offer from any CP.

AFAIK, it's now an Ofcom requirement to that CP's advise thier customers as a minimum term comes to an end, it's not a automatic renewal , if you did nothing you would simply move to whatever was agreed when the contract was struck ( but chances are that it would be more ££ than neccesary if you were to consider a new minimum term) a new router could be negotiated , but wouldn't neccesarily be offered as part of the initial deal, as presumably there isn't anything wrong with the current one.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Re: Contract termination

the main think to make sure you cab is not full when switching otherwise you will lose you fibre conenction and join the waiting list - connection does not transfer with you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
-Richie-
Expert
Message 5 of 10

If you joined Plusnet on the 31st January 2019, The final BT bill will have charges up to January 31st 2019, you won't be charged for any Februray usage, a previous bill might of included Februray as you're billed in advance but the final bill will recalculate it.

I'm still confused by what the OP is posting about though.

Kern
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

A family matter over the weekend meant an unexpected absence, so apologies to all here for the inadvertently belated nature of this post. Thanks are due, too, to those who took the time and trouble to respond to my OP: the kindness is appreciated.

As it seems I really didn't make things as clear as they should've been in that original post, here's an as-brief-as-possible run-down of the background to my present perplexity:

(1) January 30 2018:   order placed with BT for 'Unlimited BT Infinity + calls' and 12 months' line rental paid in advance. This is a renewal of an existing contract, albeit on different payment terms.

(2) December 20 2018:   telephone call received from BT to say your contract expires at the beginning of February. Would you like to renew? It isn't convenient for me at that moment to discuss the matter, but I thank the caller for letting me know.

(3) January 4 2019:   BT bill received, Broadband & Calls, 4 Jan - 3 Feb 19: £52.49p. Package discount: £8.50. Line Saver credit: £18.99. Total payable: £25.00.

(4) January 14 2019:   BT letter (by post) received, offering "a gift for you": £2 a month off the existing contract if I sign up to a new contract when the existing arrangement ends. The package discount will be £10.50.

(5) January 16 2019:   I check with the BT website about the T&Cs that will arise if I decide not to renew the existing contract when it ends but instead go with a different service provider. The BT website reports: "How much notice do you need? If you're switching to another provider through the standard process (you contact your new service provider and they notify us) the notice period is 14 days."

(6) January 17 2019.   Order placed with Plusnet. It advises that the switch "normally takes around 15 days to complete" -- fine with me, because that's one day more than the notice period stipulated by BT.

(7) January 18 2019:   BT emails to confirm it has received a switch request. It is "sorry to see you go".

(8) February 5 2019:   Final Bill from BT: 'Broadband and calls, January 31st 2019. You cancelled this service while on contract, so this charge is for your package to the end of your contract: £23.32."

But, but, but . . .

* I did not "cancel this service while on contract". I chose not to renew the service at the conclusion of contract. The two are not the same;

* I followed BT's own advice that only 14 days' notice was required if "you're switching to another provider through the standard process. . . they notify us". That notification was received by BT on January 17 or January 18 -- at least 17 days before the February 3 end-of-contract;

No explanation is provided by BT in its final bill as to how the sum of £23.32p has been arrived at. It's just a 'cancellation charge'.

Hopefully this clarifies why I was seeking advice here. Thank you all, again, and apologies (again) for the length of this further post.

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 10

The advice given by BT is correct about the 14 day period. The problem is that it is  your responsibility to make sure the contract termination occurred after the contract expiration date ie when placing the order with Plusnet you should have made sure that the new contract started at the earliest ,on the day the BT one terminated or ideally one day later. 

Your contract ended on 3 February 2019 but you set up a new one with Plusnet starting on 31 January 2019 and therefore you have cancelled the BT contract before its termination date.

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 8 of 10

I am going to go with the £23.32 is from your previous line rental saver, although you state you renewed it on January 30th 2018, that does not mean that's when it starts, line rental saver can be renewed 28 days in advance, if you renewed it the year before in 2017 it won't remove that allowance, it will start when the previous year ends, check your order confirmation from January 2018 to see when it started, not when you paid.

The early termination charges are not from this year, you stated you recieved an offer but never went ahead with it, which means the offer was never applied.

0 Ratings
Kern
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

@ Conrad. Thanks for that, the explanation's appreciated. That said, the contract existed until February 3rd. Payment for the services provided under that contract was made up to February 3rd. BT was in no ways financially disadvantaged: it received all the monies due which it expected under the terms of contract. It also had a full 14 days (and more) notification. So, um, I'm still lost as to where this mysterious £23.32 came from . . . ?? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Kern
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

@ Richie: thanks for your input. As with Conrad, so yours: it is appreciated. Re the £23.32p charge, I'm not sure how the Line Rental actually comes into it? The Final Bill states: "RECHARGE: £1.84p 1 Feb - 3 Feb 19. This is the cost of your line rental at £18.99 a month from 1 Feb 2019 to 3 Feb 2019." I am content to accept that. Having done so though, I can't actually see how it can have any bearing on the (unexplained) £23.32p. . ???

0 Ratings