Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
devbias
Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Cost of Unlimited Broadband Package

I am currently part way through my 18 month contract for Unlimited Broadband
Package which was always £16 per month until my last bill when it has now gone upto £17.03 per month.

BT products services web page still show the Unlimited Broadband package at £16.

Tried to get resolved with call centre but fell victim like many others to the problem solved but clearly isn't category.

Can someone tell me what the cost of this package should be or is the web page for products and services wrong?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Cost of Unlimited Broadband Package

The prices on the website are for new customers only.

0 Ratings
devbias
Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Sorry Keith but that doesn't answer my question.
I'm confused on what the description new customer means and for how long it remains valid.
I was a new customer and signed up to an 18 month contract which I am 11 months into.
The new customer contract hasn't matured nor have I had any communication of a price increase so what the heck is going on?
What should I be paying surely it can't be that much of a difficult question but unfortunately it is far too difficult for our friends in the over seas call centre. However I did get many apologises but I'm not sure what for and I don't think the call operator knew either.
Where can customers contact to get issues actually resolved and not just a label of resolved on the BT customer care system no matter what the outcome actually is.

This forum is a true eye opener and I wish I would of visited here before taking BT broadband
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

There have been recent increases in price, that would have affected your package, as BT can increase prices during the period of a contract.

"On 4 January 2014 we changed some of our Voice, Broadband and Sky Sports prices. We've been telling everyone about the price changes either via BT Update (usually included with your bill), or via emails (for people who view their bill online) or letters.

We know that no one likes price increases, which is why we have only increased line rental by 3.5% to £15.99. The remaining price increases for Voice, Broadband and Sky Sports are no more than 6.5%."

0 Ratings
devbias
Contributor
Message 5 of 15

Why can I not get a straight answer on the cost of this package from anyone?
Why is it impossible to get a call back from a UK based member of customer service?
I purchased my package via the identical link on the products and services page at the price of £16 as it still is today and I'm still a new customer has that contract has not elapsed.

BT can place as much small print in the T&C as they wish but is it enforceable or ethical without being given an option to terminate is another question.

I like many others don't recall any written communication regarding a price increase applicable to a current contract.
This is very unusual as all previous service providers I have used have always adjusted the monthly premium once the initial contract period has elapsed.
This practise which BT have adopted of increasing prices mid contract and then relying on some hidden small print in the T&C is the action of an organisation that most customers would not accept.

I look forward to reading in the press the number of customers and profit warnings issued as BT starts to loose its existing contracted customers in the next 12 months.

Yes customers can be lazy and stay with a poor provider but once hey feel they have been conned that move given the first opportunity.
0 Ratings
soapy
Expert
Message 6 of 15

only people who have not signed up to bt are considered potential new customers, you are no longer a new customer from the moment your connection goes active, from that time you are an existing customer, emails were sent out to everyone who has e-billing and letters were sent out to people who get a paper bill stating that from 4 jan 2014 the prices were going up and you had the option to leave your contract within 10 days of recieving the notice without charges for leaving early if you did not want to pay the higher prices

0 Ratings
Highlighted
devbias
Contributor
Message 7 of 15

Hi soapy
Couple of questions raised by your last response.

1) If I'm no longer a new customer once my connection goes active who is a new customer ?

You only become a customer once you are in receipt of goods or a service provided
( sorry but im really trying not to quote current legislation but sometimes its difficult to make a point without referring a little ).
it should also display in the £16 per month 18 month contract button " subject to change " if it can be increased during the term of the contract.

2) given your explanation of a new customer the price could be increased from the first month and every month thereafter, who would agree to this ?

3) Why are so many complaints being raised regarding the way this price hike has trapped customers into this increase if we DID get a letter or an email giving the customer the option to leave and what measures did BT take to make sure all effected customers were aware of this ?

Its laughable that BT even has a statement on its complaints page saying we don't always get it right !!

It is a very misleading statement implying that sometimes they get it right !!

If any post helps tick the star box on the left

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

@devbias wrote:
Hi soapy
Couple of questions raised by your last response.

1) If I'm no longer a new customer once my connection goes active who is a new customer ?
This is a BT residential customer to customer forum. I thought soapy's stab at what a new customer is was a reasonable one but if you disagree I think you would need to contact BT and ask them for a definition.

You only become a customer once you are in receipt of goods or a service provided
( sorry but im really trying not to quote current legislation but sometimes its difficult to make a point without referring a little ).
it should also display in the £16 per month 18 month contract button " subject to change " if it can be increased during the term of the contract.
I think the need to display subject to change did not come into force until 22.1.14 as per the Ofcom Guidelines. http://media.ofcom.org.uk/2014/01/22/protection-for-consumers-against-unexpected-mid-contract-price-...
2) given your explanation of a new customer the price could be increased from the first month and every month thereafter, who would agree to this ?
Nobody would agree to it and no doubt that is why ISPs and mobile phone companies only did/do it once per year.

3) Why are so many complaints being raised regarding the way this price hike has trapped customers into this increase if we DID get a letter or an email giving the customer the option to leave and what measures did BT take to make sure all effected customers were aware of this ?
As far as I am aware BT notified its customers either by email, letter, on your bill or when you took out the contract that there were increases in Jan 2014.
Its laughable that BT even has a statement on its complaints page saying we don't always get it right !!

It is a very misleading statement implying that sometimes they get it right !!

If any post helps tick the star box on the left

Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

good post soapy and a good reply GG from you over this subject
0 Ratings
devbias
Contributor
Message 10 of 15

Thanks GG for the link with the new of com ruling.

I never got a letter informing me of any price increase as I would of just found another ISP and not wasted hours of my time on the phone to a pathetic foreign call centre.
Email may of been sent but been taken by eset junk filter and I suspect this may have happend to many.

Who can I speak with to discuss my options regarding exiting my contract without penalty and please don't point me in the direction of the overseas call centre.

I can't take anymore of the uselessness they offer.
Please give me something UK based
0 Ratings