Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ForumUsername
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Data usage discrepancy?

Go to solution

I've been billed for exceeding my data allowance on Infinity 1 and warned that's high. So I have been looking at my usage; it's reported as much higher than I expected.

The information I'm getting is inconsistent:

I had an email on Tue, 28 Oct 2014 at 21:11 saying I had used "more than 28GB" of my 40GB allowance.

Another followed on Wed, 29 Oct 2014 at 04:11 saying I had used "more than 36GB".

That's about 8GB

However, I just checked my BT Home Hub and it has been up for 8 days, 08:52:37. It says, "Data Transmitted/Received: 1.7 GB / 3.3 GB"

That appears to be about 5GB since the 22nd October which would have included the 8GB about.

Is there an explanation for this?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
MrDJ
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: Data usage discrepancy?

Go to solution

hi

a bit more info needed.

do you have sky tv with on demand and if so have you downloaded lots of programs in HD

do you play games on pc as the average game now a days is 30-50gb (call of duty released in a few days needs 55gb space).

ive heard a while back about failed windows update and it continuously tried to download and then fail and then start again until it fils up the hard drive.

0 Ratings
JohnKelly
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

@MrDJ wrote:

hi

a bit more info needed.

do you have sky tv with on demand and if so have you downloaded lots of programs in HD

do you play games on pc as the average game now a days is 30-50gb (call of duty released in a few days needs 55gb space).

ive heard a while back about failed windows update and it continuously tried to download and then fail and then start again until it fils up the hard drive.

I'd be more interested in why the home hub is reporting a usage of 5GB over 8 days when during the time period the home hub has been up and connected for BT is sending out an email saying that 8GB had been used in one day. Something wrong somewhere. Surely the usage you're describing would be in the Home Hub stats anyway.

ForumUsername
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks John. That's exactly my point. My post is not a billing or package query. I'm simply questioning why the two sources are so different.

0 Ratings
JohnKelly
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Although if you do get billed extra for it then it would rapidly become a billing enquiry. Does anyone know why the usage is so obviously different. I'm assuming that the home hub is pretty correct so why is the online account showing such a massive usage?

0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Hi ForumUsername,

I had a query over my usage.  The mod said they had an alternative sytem that agreed with the monitor.  Maybe you could ask for a copy that data ? 

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
ForumUsername
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

I think I know the answer. Apparently, the BT Home Hub 5 connection information for Data Transmitted/Received resets when it reaches 4.3GB. My Hub's counter was reset today.

Therefore, if you use more than 4.3GB, the BT Home Hub 5 is pretty much useless for monitoring your broadband usage.

Perhaps this discussion could be moved back to 'Other Broadband' so that it might help other BT customers?

0 Ratings
HomeHub5User
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Re: Data usage discrepancy? Fake BT usage figures

Go to solution

Before I came to BT last year my previous ISP usage was around 5gb pm. Since coming to BT it was averaging 6gb. these last few months the average has shot up to 9.5gb and I exceeded it apparently in October and was penalised. The figures are a lie. I use networx usage monitor and have done for years, give or take a few mb its always been spot on and I have never had any usage issues. I never use iplayer etc because its impossible on 10gb. I research using IE9 and Chrome in the main, occasional small downloads and use outlook express for emails. I usually have half a dozen windows open online monitoring sites not actually doing anything, apart from checking messages Thats all I do online, hence the low usage. I am wired and never use wireless. One PC connected to main socket.

Today I disconnected everything and just had one window open in ie and outlook express. Half the day is gone and I am already on 160mb. I also have adfender which has used 58mb of that but you can bet it has blocked 5xthat in junk downloads/ads etc. The rest of the usage has been Internet Explorer basically doing nothing.

The service has now become unusable on a 10gb limit even doing very little online. I dont know how BT are doing it but they are fixing the figures so that no matter what our bandwidth we always *seem* to just go over and hence forced to buy unlimited.

This borders on criminal surely!

0 Ratings
janniecop
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Hi, I have had similar issues to the first post in that since switching to Infinity I had an email saying I was close to my 40GB limit at 28GB then the next day another email saying I was over 36GB! We had been out all day and only used the internet for a couple of hours looking at holidays in the evening. We have no children and no netflix or similar and have not used i-player or similar this month. When I checked my account it said I was 37.25GB OVER my 40GB limit on 13 May!!! I emailed a complaint as this is patently impossible and they have "tried" to phone me but it only rings once then cuts off!! A message on my home answer service suggests friends or neighbours must be using my broadband!! We have a new HomeHub 5 which is encrypted so it is IMPOSSIBLE for any neighbour to use it!! Ehat the hell is going on...I this it is VERY suspicious and suspect BT are trying to force me to pay for unlimited. There is NO WAY we use that much broadband. Can anyone please help as it is very stressful.

Thanks, John

0 Ratings
ForumUsername
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Hi John,

I did some thorough checks over a few months when I was convinced my bills were wrong. I installed a separate device to monitor all traffic in and out. It turned out that, for my account, BT slightly under-recorded my data use.

The Home Hub 5 doesn't do BT any favours because its data figures are of little use. Don't use them.

I also suspect that my previous internet service provider was under-recording my usage so that might be why I saw an increase.

I'd be surprised if BT is getting your figures wrong and it's more likely that the the data is being used somehow.

I have now moved to unlimited allowance and seen my usage continue to rise. The Web is a much more data-hungry place than it was just a few years ago!

Tim

0 Ratings