cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 12

Debt Collection from over 3 years ago on a final bill BT never took by DIrect Debit

Go to solution

Hello,

I have recently found out via a Credit Score report that I have an outstanding balance on my BT account which I closed and haven’t been with since 2015. Upon calling BT, and after a lot of hassle with the advisor they confirmed that there was a balance for my final bill that BT never took out of my account. When I asked to pay it, he said my account was closed and that it had been passed onto a debt collection agency.

When I closed my account I provided all my details including my new address that I moved to and confirmed my email address and mobile number (advisor confirmed they were all on my account). To this day I have never had any contact from BT or the debt collection agency regarding this amount, although the advisor claimed that 1 legal letter was sent but I had never received it. For a large company, I would expect BT to make more than one attempt to collect the outstanding debt especially since letters are known for getting lost in the post before sending it to a debt collector!

When I asked  the advisor for information how I contact this debt collection agency, I was told he doesn't know and I need to GOOGLE IT !!!! This brings up 11.5m results! The advisor then told me it’s OK if I make the payment in 45 days then it shouldn’t be a problem, but still couldn’t tell me who to pay and how I pay them!!

Does any have a number or a way to contact someone in BT who would be able to help with this issue?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Debt Collection from over 3 years ago on a final bill BT never took by DIrect Debit

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

Was this a BT Business or a BT Residential account?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Re: Debt Collection from over 3 years ago on a final bill BT never took by DIrect Debit

Go to solution

This was a BT Residential account.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

@scottholding wrote:

This was a BT Residential account.

Thanks.

Then it would most likely be Equifax.

For any queries about your credit file it should be raised directly with Equifax.

You can find out how to contact them and what happens at the below link:

Have a question about your credit file?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

So I would need to go through Equifax in order to clear the outstanding balance on my account?

I am happy to pay the balance with BT, i was just unaware it was outstanding until I saw it on my credit score report.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

I think that once your account is closed, that may be the only way, but I will ask a moderator.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe Thanks for highlighting this.

@scottholding welcome to the community and thanks for posting. Equifax can't take payment and they should only be contacted if there is a dispute with your credit score report.

If the debt is with a collection agency we can provide you with their contact information so you can make payment. I'll send you a private message with information on how to contact the moderation team.

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @scottholding I called earlier sorry I could not get to speak with you. I'm sorry that you were not given any information on how to pay your final bill when you called. The account has been returned to BT at the moment and you can make payment directly to us now. Check out How can I pay my BT bill? and I would suggest you try calling 0800 44 33 11 and make payment via the automated payment platform. If you are unable to make payment via this method then Bank Transfer or payment by Cheque will work. 

Post back and let me know how you get on.

Cheers
John  

Community ModeratorJohnC
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @JohnC2,

Thanks for your help in getting this returned to BT, I just made the payment via the automated phone service. Please could you confirm that my account is now clear and I have no outstanding balance due?

Many thanks!

Also, thanks @NeilO & @Keith_Beddoe for your help and suggestions on this. Much appreciated!

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @scottholding,

Thank you for posting back. @JohnC2 will be back in the office tomorrow and will follow up with you then.

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
0 Ratings