cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Deceitful Email From BT

Hi, I received this email from BT, and not longer after I started reading it, alarm bells started to go off:

https://ibb.co/6DqDDr0

First off, it says that full fibre is available. I know that it isn’t anyway, and despite checking again, as expected, it isn’t available. Gfast is available, as it has been for some time. If I follow the link in the email, it just takes me to a page to order Fibre 250.

This is what the broadband checker says when I type in my telephone number:

https://ibb.co/KNmHGjv

https://ibb.co/mtkchrc

The second thing is, it says that my contract ends next year. As far as I was aware, my contract had already finished, because I re-joined BT in March 2018. This is annoying because I was hoping to either change broadband providers, or renegotiate a new deal with BT this month, as my bill is too expensive.

Please could a mod investigate why I received this email, advising me that full fibre is available when it clearly isn’t (unless I’m mistaken). And to sort out this problem with my contract, because I shouldn’t still be in one. Thanks.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Deceitful Email From BT

It is just a circular issued by BT and some people in your area probably can get FTTP but you are lucky that you are able to get G.FAST.  

try using the BT app and you shouldn't be able to check your contract when it was last changed and the termon contract enabling you to work out when it ends

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 12

@imjollywrote:

It is just a circular issued by BT and some people in your area probably can get FTTP but you are lucky that you are able to get G.FAST.  

try using the BT app and you shouldn't be able to check your contract when it was last changed and the termon contract enabling you to work out when it ends

@imjolly  I am pretty sure you mean "should" rather than "shouldn't".

@Dylan1998 If you are "out of contract" then you will not be enjoying any discounts. You should have been invited to renew in 2018 at which time you could have negotiated and agreed a price for your service(s).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

@Carlusha 

Yes.  Should not shouldn't -  damn predictive text at its best

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

I still don’t understand why I would receive an email that says I can get a particular product, when I can’t. I have looked in the broadband checker, and can’t find any other properties in my postcode area who can get full fibre.

I know I should be out of contract because I signed an 18 month contract in March 2019. My price hasn’t fully increased, but I’m sure I heard at some point that BT weren’t increasing prices at the end of the contract. Maybe this only applies to new contracts?

The BT Broadband offers page confirms that my contract ends in January 2021. I should already be out of contract. I never agreed a new deal but I did briefly upgrade to gfast then downgraded back because the service was even worse. It was my understanding that I would be continuing my old contract when I downgraded.

Please could you escalate this to the mods? I do appreciate the help but I know that they’re the only ones that can help when it comes to dealing with payments. Thanks.

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 12

@Dylan1998wrote:

I know I should be out of contract because I signed an 18 month contract in March 2019. My price hasn’t fully increased, but I’m sure I heard at some point that BT weren’t increasing prices at the end of the contract. Maybe this only applies to new contracts?

Kindly note my response was based upon your opening post which mentions March 2018.

"The second thing is, it says that my contract ends next year. As far as I was aware, my contract had already finished, because I re-joined BT in March 2018. This is annoying because I was hoping to either change broadband providers, or renegotiate a new deal with BT this month, as my bill is too expensive."

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

@Dylan1998  The mods are a very small team and are very busy. They only get involved when normal channels have failed to resolve the problem. You don't appear to have made any contact with BT in order to try and resolve this.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 8 of 12

@Dylan1998wrote:

I still don’t understand why I would receive an email that says I can get a particular product, when I can’t. I have looked in the broadband checker, and can’t find any other properties in my postcode area who can get full fibre.

Most likely just a marketing glitch, Gfast and FTTP are both ultrafast products, BB checker noted you can get ultrafast speeds, sends out comms with an offer, FTTC and FTTP are priced the same.
If you had went to make an order, it would of been detected then that FTTP isn't available, you'd be offered products that you can receive.

@Dylan1998wrote:

My price hasn’t fully increased, but I’m sure I heard at some point that BT weren’t increasing prices at the end of the contract. Maybe this only applies to new contracts?

It applies to Halo broadband packages, what was previously known as 'Plus'

@Dylan1998wrote:

I never agreed a new deal but I did briefly upgrade to gfast then downgraded back because the service was even worse. It was my understanding that I would be continuing my old contract when I downgraded.

Any change of promotion comes with a new contract, did you downgrade back within 14 days of upgrading ? that would be a revert and back to the same original terms, after 14 days would be a new minimum term, by your own words it sounds like there's confusion, check email notifications sent when you downgraded, it will state if there was a new minimum term applied, which should of been disputed back then.

@Dylan1998wrote:

My price hasn’t fully increased

If you're disputing the contract that is still applying discounts, BT do reserve the right to claim back billing errors, for example if a customer says they should of been out of contract 6 months ago but is getting a £20 monthly discount and wants it corrected, they would also of received £120 savings they shouldn't.

If you're within the last 6 months of a contract, you've enetered the recontract window, you can call the loyalty team and negotiate a new package, see what discounts are available, in the last 12 months BT have launched new calling plans, new TV packages and new mobile offers, ask for a review and see what suits your needs best 🙂

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

I am attempting to contact BT through the forum. I thought this was what it was for? I don’t fancy being on hold forever just to speak to someone who may not understand my situation. And I’m speaking from past experience.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

As it say she when you join the forum it is a forum where customers help customer. You post does not go to BT so you need to phone 150 and talk to BT

0 Ratings