Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mrdthomp86
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 38

Re: Default Payment on Closed Account

Thanks for the advise I will try that.

I didn’t get sent a default notice, but not sure if that’s a legal requirement.

I don’t even care about whether the balance is valid and have offered to pay, I just need it off my account.

0 Ratings
Eddyarizu
Beginner
Message 22 of 38

Hi Steve. Very interested about this. I have to follow the same process and your help will be relevant to put it in place. 
can you contact me back via email?

0 Ratings
Stevesanders387
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 38

Have sent you email.

0 Ratings
JohnForbes50
Beginner
Message 24 of 38

Afternoon Steve

I am having the exact same problem with an account that was closed in December 2016. I have been asking for the default to be removed for months now but Bt have refused. I would appreciate any advice you may have after having the same problem yourself.

Thanks in advance 

0 Ratings
arjunavalakki
Beginner
Message 25 of 38

I have the same problem as my credit rating has been ruined by this. 

0 Ratings
arjunavalakki
Beginner
Message 26 of 38

Can you send me a copy of the County Court claim please as I am having the exact same problem at the moment which has ruined my credit rating.
0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 27 of 38

Hi @arjunavalakki,

Welcome and thanks for posting. I’m really sorry you’ve had problems with a default payment. Your best bet would be to get in touch with Equifax to raise a notice of dispute. As soon as you do this, Equifax will give you a unique reference ID that can be used by both us and Equifax to look into this for you.

Once the notice of dispute is raised, Equifax will also mark your file as in query, so it won't affect your ability to apply for credit elsewhere and we aim to respond to Equifax within 21 days.

You can contact Equifax by visiting www.equifax.co.uk/ask or by contacting them on 0800 014 2955.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
DaveBab898
Beginner
Message 28 of 38

Hi Steve, 

Hope you're well.  I would be interested in seeing this if possible please.  Similar situation to previous posters - account closed in May 2017, no missed payments or anything and then suddenly Oct 2019, they've added a default for £55 on the account.  

We were renting so fully vacated the property in May 2017 and paid to terminate our contract early and returned our equipment.  

Rather surprising and concerning that BT can just add defaults to files 2+ years after an account has been terminated and when the account shows in a complete and settled status.  

Any help appreciated!

0 Ratings
Mrdthomp86
Aspiring Contributor
Message 29 of 38

I have finally had mine taken off. I have never been sent any evidence that the money was owed despite being told it was being sent. There has never been a follow up and Equifax were terrible. It was only a legal threat that sorted it out.

FYI Getting it flagged as in dispute actually dropped my credit score further as I now had a dispute on the account AS WELL AS the disputed incorrect information.

I will never use them again as this wasted hours of time and gave me months of stress.

Shocked a business can do this to people without any evidence.

0 Ratings
DaveBab898
Beginner
Message 30 of 38

Hey, 

That's good to know.  How long did you give them?  I am just concerned as we are in the midst of mortgage hunting and this was a bolt from the blue.... 

How tricky was the threat of legal action?  Any tips? 

0 Ratings