Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mrdthomp86
Aspiring Contributor
Message 31 of 38

Re: Default Payment on Closed Account

Hi,

to be honest I was too nice for too long. I thought I would trust that it would get sorted via the right channels. 
I only got anywhere when I got stroppy. Otherwise I was fobbed off. It took me months because I tried all the stuff you are told to do like dispute it and wait for a response, but each time they took the maximum amount of time and only came back on the last day. This was repeatedly “we have looked into it and it’s valid” but they were unable to show me how. 
I finally sent an email detailing everything and how I hard tried to resolve it and the GDPR Thrown in for good measure giving 48hrs. Got a response saying was removed and that was it.

0 Ratings
NatalieJJ
Beginner
Message 32 of 38

I am in the same position as above and would like to know further about the process you went through. Kind regards

0 Ratings
NatalieJJ
Beginner
Message 33 of 38

Hi Steve please can you email me regarding the case against BT. I need help doing the same

0 Ratings
NatalieJJ
Beginner
Message 34 of 38

What is a GDPR
0 Ratings
TheModsMod
Beginner
Message 35 of 38

GDPR is the General Data Protection Regulation a new piece of legislation that came into use May 2018.

This encompasses and enhances the principles set out by the Data Protection Act 1998.

If you are ever disputing the practices and processes you should always quote GDPR and the Right to Access.

This is one of the 8 key principles governed by GDPR.

You as the "Data Subject" (the person the data relates to) have the right to access all of your information stored and processed by any organisation processing your data within the EU and UK.

You can do this by requesting a Subject Access Request (SAR) every organisation has to comply and provide you with any and all of the data you request. While some organisations may request you do it through their website if you request your data through any channel phone, online, mail they must comply and provide you with your data in no longer than 30 days.

The SAR could include transcripts of conversations, billing information, account details, contact records etc.

Another useful right is the "Right to Rectification" which I would suggest you all start using in these situations where you feel your data has been incorrectly recorded with a Credit Reference Agency (CRA).

This principle outlines that companies processing your data must record information accurately and are obligated at the very least to investigate any information they may hold which you believe to be incorrect.

From previous threads I've noticed that BT unfortunately aren't able to help due to them not being bound by the Consumer Credit Act 1974 however they are bound by GDPR.

This does not necessarily mean BT have acted incorrectly but merely a tool to be used to gather the information you need to identify whether they have acted incorrectly.

It seems that BT have recently added previously archived data onto people's credit reports. This is not a small matter this is 1000s if not 10,000s of people affected by this. The issue with raising this through a CRA is the response initially is 99% likely to come back as "Data Accurate - Remain on File". So I would suggest raising a formal complaint with BT.

The only true resolution is for the MODs to raise this with their respective Experian and Equifax Credit Referrals Teams or Seniors so that they can contact the CRA's Portfolio Manager to resolve the matter for everyone impacted by this.

0 Ratings
DaveBab898
Beginner
Message 36 of 38

All, 
just an update on our case - we actually didn’t even have to go through too much faff we raised a complaint with BT and within a day someone had called us back and within a couple of days all references removed from equifax. 

hope you get some joy here. 

0 Ratings
SiRed
Beginner
Message 37 of 38

@Stevesanders387  could you please inform me how to go about a small claim. 

Bt defaulted my credit file for £44 for a closed account. The default was 2017.

It appeared on my experian report in July 2020.

I was not informed of any money owed, nor was I given a 28 day default notice.

I tried first with experian to contact bt and bt said default was legitimate and would not be removed.

For the past 5 weeks I have been in discussions with bt complaints and we have reached a deadlock.

My next move was to contact the communications ombudsman......

0 Ratings
Stevesanders387
Aspiring Contributor
Message 38 of 38

It's very easy, register with moneyclaim online https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome then pretty much follow the instructions for the claim itself I used this:

1. The Claimant was alerted by Clearscore that a communications supplier ******7450 will be marked as in default on next credit report and the status of the Claimant's BT account will worsen to Default. 2. The Claimant doesn't have an open BT account. 3. After contacting BT, the two operators spoken to couldn't explain why a Default had been
added to the Claimants credit file, but did confirm that it shouldn't have been added. 4. BT has been reporting a query status to Equifax against account ******7450 since Nov 15 - Sep 19, again without explanation. 5. The false reporting of a Default on a long closed account the Claimant believes is a breach of the General Data Protection
Regulation (GDPR). 6. Due to BT's breach the Claimant is entitled to claim compensation under Article 82 of the GDPR and does so to the amount of £500. 7. The Claimant also requires the immediate removal of this Default any any other it has added to any of the other CRA's and a Notice of Correction be added to the Claimant's credit file(s).

They paid up £535, it costs £35 to issue the claim and you get that back if you win, which you should.

0 Ratings