cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hayden2
Message 1 of 15

Delay in broadband connection

I'm posting here in a last ditch attempt to establish what is happening to my broadband connection that was supposed to be connected on the 31st January. Dispite ringing BT on over ten seperate occasions, waiting in my house for two days on the request of customer services for an engineers appointment I still have no broadband, nor do I know when I will get broadband. I have three children and run my business from home. I cannot even begin to express the disruption this has caused.

Please can someone help?????

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Delay in broadband connection

@hayden2 wrote:

I run my business from home.

Welcome to the BT Residential Customers forum

As you are a business user, please could you post on the BT Business forum at http://business.forums.bt.com/

Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
hayden2
Message 3 of 15

No it's a residential order

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

@hayden2 wrote:

No it's a residential order

Then you are not allowed to run a business on it.

https://www.bt.com/terms/post11thjan2019voiceandbroadband/

Section 6a.

Also Section 11b  note xii

Homeworkers, who are employees of a company, are normally not classed as business users.

Business provision orders get priority.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

Both business and residential are still subject to delays due to problems that Openreach may have in providing service. Business provisions are usually done first.

If its a new build and has a direct fibre into the property, then delays are quite common.

Generally, if you have dial tone, and your phone is working on the correct phone number, then broadband provision can take up to an additional 10 days, depending on whether there is network capacity.

0 Ratings
hayden2
Message 6 of 15

Do you work for BT?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

@hayden2 wrote:

Do you work for BT?

This is only a customer to customer help forum.

No, I am just a BT customer now, but used to provide BT business connections, before I retired.

There is a lot of difference between the SLA (Service Level Agreement) that BT Business and BT Residential customers get. BT Business customers can claim loss of business for delayed provisions and loss of service.

There is very little compensation for BT Residential users, but people still try to run a business on it, then complain when they lose customers, which is why BT Residential T&Cs do not permit it.

There may be a good reason why your service has not been activated.

Have you got dial tone on your phone yet, if so, how long ago was it activated?

0 Ratings
hayden2
Message 8 of 15

Keith

I'm just trying to establish when I'm going to get service. I've been asked to wait at my property on two seperate occasions for an engineer(both of which didn't turn up) I was then told that I should not have been told this. I have been given asssurance that the service would be active on 4 seperate dates, today being the fourth date. I'm now being told it will be activated on the 20th, some 21 days after the original date given to me. You'll forgive me at this point if I view this assurance with a degree of doubt. Openreach have told BT that the engineer that was booked for the 31st(orignial installation date) missed the appointment. They are now saying that they cannot re-book this appointment till the 20th February, even though it was their fault. I've asked the BT customer service advisor how long the connection would take if I was treated as a new customer, he stated 4 days. If I had known this would go on as long as it has I would have cancelled the order

0 Ratings
hayden2
Message 9 of 15

The phone was connected on the original date stated

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

@hayden2 wrote:

The phone was connected on the original date stated

What broadband service have you ordered?

Do you have a direct fibre to your house (FTTP)?

FTTP delays are quite common, but issues can also arise with FTTC (Fibre To The Cabinet), if the cabinet is full, and Openreach are waiting to increase capacity by adding more cards.

The long delay would tend to indicate either FTTP or a wait for a free port on FTTC.

0 Ratings