cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rjnicko
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 19

Delay in my BT Infinity Activation (Not Happy)

Hello All,

I've just bought recently the BT Infinity, Televsion and Phone package. the router & Youview box arrived Thursday and I was told the fibre instalation would happen on Friday 09th September before midnight. However, I logged into the acocunt earlier today and was greeted with this message...

We're sorry, your order has been delayed

We're sorry there may be a delay with your order. We'll let you know if this affects your service. You can track the progress in the timeline below.

I think I knew deep down this would happen with BT, as when we moved house six years ago we waited six weeks just for them to transfer our old number to our new address. It became a nightmare back then, as I was at college trying to revise for my A-Levels exams with no active internet connection.

I'm really not happy as its not just an issue with a loss of broadband, we previously had a sky broadband and TV bundle and now thats all been cancelled I no longer get any television (not even freeview) we also don't have an antenna (as we use to use our sky satelite instead for the TV's in our house). I'm also paying for BT Vision/Youview and not getting anything without the internet.

The sky talk service terminated this morning at about half 10. As I was driving home from work this evening I saw the engineer tinkering about in the green exchange box around the corner from my house. The actual telephone line is working fine, I can dial and make calls, but unfortuntley I have no broadband, all my BT Hub does is flash purple when its connected. 

My job also involves me having an active internet connection all of the time for various files to be sent to me and this isn't going to happen now either so I'm extremely concerned as I've just recently started this job and there are a lot of training materials to get through. 

I'm really not sure what to do, if the service cannot be brought online tomorrow I'm affraid I will have to cancel the entire thing and go back to sky and possibly get Fibre through them. I know I've signed up to contract, but to me this is a breach of contract as they are not providing the service on the date which was agreed and specified. 

I hope someone can help with this, as I can't really go even a few days without the internet, this is possibly the reason why I haven't changed internet provider in years, because of the hassle is causes. 

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: Delay in my BT Infinity Activation (Not Happy)

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

Its possible that the cabinet is full, and you are on a waiting list. Going back to Sky would not help, as the waiting list applies to all providers.

You will need a normal TV aerial with the BT YouView box, as a lot of channels are delivered by FreeView. Its also needed as part of the setup procedure.

0 Ratings
rjnicko
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 19

I get Fiber optic, my whole area upgraded to it about 18 months to 2 years back, someone 4 houses away has it already and gets 42MB/s. I was getting 8-10mbs/ on sky non-fibre just normal ADSL. I always decided against switching providers or getting Fibre, simply if something went wrong I coouldn't deal with the hassle, but everyone kept telling me it was seamless, clearly it isn't. So now I have no television I streamed almost everything over the internet or recivied it from satelite via Sky+ HD.

If they can't sort it out then I would prefer to go back to good old standard non-fibre then if thats the case I really don't care as long as I have working internet what I can use, It's not like my old internet was slow or anything. If they can't sort it out today then I will cancel the entire thing and tell them to connect it back up how it was previously and I'll just go back on the package I was with sky wthout fiber optic. 

Surley BT should know if there own cabients are getting over capacity and to tell the customer its taking longer than expected and not to cancel their current internet plan until thats sorted I would've been fine with that. 

I really don't care about freeview channels to be honest, I only watch Discovery, Nat Geo and the Crime Network, all the freeview channels are pretty poor to be honest. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 19

What does the availability checker say against the cabinet, that is the clue as to whether its showing as available, or waiting list?

BT can put you on ADSL2+ if there is a waiting list, and you would rather not wait.

Openreach own the cabinets, not BT Retail. They also do all the external connections.

Cancelling now would mean a minimum of a 10 day wait before Sky could take the line back.

Just a reminder, you will need a TV licence, just in case you do not have one. That now applies to streaming content from the BBC.

0 Ratings
rjnicko
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 19

I do have a TV licence, I just used sky satalite, just because I don't use an atenna doesn't mean I don't have a TV licence (I got quite a poor signal over freeview) this was my choice (removing the antenna) in the time before Freview HD etc. the early type of Freeview boxes were pretty rubbish, cracklng signals, fuzzy images and kept going off in rain, whereas sky kept on working all the time so I just decided to just use that instead. I've been a sky customer Since 1990 and have been happy with their service.

I ran a check on my telephone number and it just said this...

Telephone Number (MY NUMBER) on Exchange GOOLE is served by Cabinet 6

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

Left in Jumper

HighLowHighLow        

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

Other Offerings

Availability Date

VDSL Range A (Clean)5539.813.89.1--Available----
VDSL Range B (Impacted)38.12010.25.3--Available----
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 10--6 to 18Available----
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 10Up to 16 to 18Available----
ADSL MaxUp to 4--3.5 to 7.5Available----
WBC Fixed Rate----Available----
Fixed Rate----Available----
VDSL Multicast------Available----
ADSL Multicast------Available----

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This line is on a Market B Exchange.

There is an open order on your line which is due to complete by 12-Sep-2016.

For VDSL or G.fast Ranges A and B, the term "Clean" relates to a line which is free from any wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions, and the term "Impacted" relates to a line which may have wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31-Jan-2013; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30-Jun-2014.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number, NAD, UPRN or Access Line ID (ALID) check.

Note: If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service.

Thank you for your interest.

The line went off yesterday morning and reconeccted sometime in the afternoon, I really wish I hadn't bothered now as its just turned into a nightmare. Only reason I left Sky was because we were paying almost £90 a month for the sky package and it seemed BT could match it (with better Broadband) for about £35 a month, sky simply couldn't match.

12th September? this really isn't very good, its not on the day specified and now I have no internet connection.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 19

As its available, I would say that Openreach did not have enough time to complete the work yesterday. This can happen if there is other high priority faults, or business customer provision.

I would not be concerned, as it will most likely be dealt with early next week. Some Openreach staff work today, so you may find that it gets sorted today, especially if there is a backlog of work.

The phone line has to be done first, as its not possible to commission BT Infinity without a working BT Retail phone line. That would have been done in the exchange. All it needs now is someone to visit the cabinet.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
rjnicko
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 19

Just spoken to BT on the phone and they don't really know whats happened (Useful). They say it will take at least five days to sort out. Thats no good to me, I've decided if thats the case I might just be better cancelling the whole thing and go back to sky how I was, I hate being messed around. I was messed around with BT last time, six weeks without a phone line is unacceptable. Especially considering the house had a phone line and was built in 1995, they kept saying it didn't. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 19

I would let BT sort it out, otherwise its going to take a very long time to get any service if you cancel, and you may incur cancellation charges now the phone has been activated

The helpdesk would have no idea anyway, as they rely on Openreach to give them updates.

I will ask one of the moderators to put you in their queue, so that if the problem is not resolved in a few days, they can help.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 19

Hi @rjnicko and thanks for posting.

I'm really sorry there's been delays in getting you up and running. I can check what's going on with this. Can you drop me over an email with the details? You'll get the contact the moderators link in my profile. We're busier then usual so it's taking a little longer to reply but once you're in the queue we'll get to you in turn.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
rjnicko
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 19

Hi there, 

I've just private messaged you the details David.

I hope this can be sorted as soon as possible (preferably before Monday) as I'm currently writing this from a phone, which is unsuitable for work purposes. 

0 Ratings