cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Smirnoff
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 12

Discount ending? Contracted until October!

Just logged into MyBt and was greeted with a banner heading stating "Don't forget your broadband discount's ending Renew Now".

On checking my contract details I notice that my contract ends on October 24th. I assumed that any discount would be included until the end my contract.

Looked at my latest bill and there is a listing for a discount with a little "i" in a circle next to it (info). On clicking it there is no further information.

What bloody discount? Where's the information about it?

More obscure and slimy tactics by BT to get you to renew unnecessarily.

11 REPLIES 11
-Richie-
Guru
Message 2 of 12

Re: Discount ending? Contracted until October!

You've entered your renewal period, it's the last 6 months of the discounted term, so you can call and see what offers are available, if none appeal wait a few months and try again.

It's better knowing in advance the discounts are ending, saves having a high bill land without expecting it.

pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 12

@Smirnoff wrote:

More obscure and slimy tactics by BT to get you to renew unnecessarily.

Not if you have your wits about you. Prompted by BT, I investigated renewal in advance last year and got a decent reduction in what I was already paying, implemented a couple of months earlier than if I'd left it until the existing deal was up.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Smirnoff
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 12

Thanks for the info.

I assume that generally the "...the last 6 months of the discounted term...." is up until the end of the current contract i.e. both dates are the same.

Why doesn't BT STATE that?

Even if the discount is not tied to the contract, what's wrong with actually giving the date of the end of discount instead of stating "Don't forget your broadband discount's ending?

In another thread - Notification of Contract Ending I posted this link:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/02/end-of-contract-letters-to-start-for-uk-broadband-isps...

It states that from 15th February providers have to give 10-40 days notice (by letter, text or email) of end of contract.

We all know why BT doesn't include end of contract/discount dates on it's web pages - BECAUSE IT HOPES YOU WILL STILL SLIP PAST YOUR RENEWAL DATE AND IT WILL BE ABLE TO CHARGE YOU THE FULL AMOUNT FOR YOUR PACKAGE BEFORE YOU RENEW AGAIN.

Services should be more transparent and reflect a fair price to begin with. The idea of giving discounts to overpriced services should be banned.

That's my rant over. These slimy marketing ploys make my blood boil.

0 Ratings
Smirnoff
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 12

Thanks for the info. Yes, you certainly need your wits about you.
I take your point that you could be lucky to get a good deal but it's generally a minefield out there.
Please see my reply to Ritchie
0 Ratings
markcameron2110
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

I had the same today, a letter through the post and then i logged onto MyBT and also had a reminder.  Looked everywhere to find my contract details online but nowhere to be seen, there was the warning about call centre being busy so i opted for online chat and they told me contract ends in October !!!!

They couldn't help me with renewal, i didn't want to anyway given so far in advance, but they did tell me to phone the call centre to discuss.

How stupid is that, send a letter out ages in advance which causes such confusion, hide the facts that people need to see online, and then get a chatbot to tell you to phone an already busy call centre which only makes it busier !!!!!!

yorkspark
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 12

@Smirnoffwrote:

Thanks for the info.

I assume that generally the "...the last 6 months of the discounted term...." is up until the end of the current contract i.e. both dates are the same.

Why doesn't BT STATE that? Because it's common sense, ' last 6 months of discount' takes you to your contract discount end date.

Even if the discount is not tied to the contract, what's wrong with actually giving the date of the end of discount instead of stating "Don't forget your broadband discount's ending? The onus is always on the consumer

In another thread - Notification of Contract Ending I posted this link:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/02/end-of-contract-letters-to-start-for-uk-broadband-isps...

It states that from 15th February providers have to give 10-40 days notice (by letter, text or email) of end of contract. Which you will get 10-40 days before the end.

We all know why BT doesn't include end of contract/discount dates on it's web pages - BECAUSE IT HOPES YOU WILL STILL SLIP PAST YOUR RENEWAL DATE AND IT WILL BE ABLE TO CHARGE YOU THE FULL AMOUNT FOR YOUR PACKAGE BEFORE YOU RENEW AGAIN. It does however, tell you your start date so you can work it out!

Services should be more transparent and reflect a fair price to begin with. The idea of giving discounts to overpriced services should be banned. Why? i enjoy getting a discount every 2 years, if you want to pay full price then don;t renew, and go onto the default rolling 30day contract

That's my rant over. These slimy marketing ploys make my blood boil. If informing you that you can renew at a discounted rate is slimy, then heaven help us

0 Ratings
yorkspark
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 12

@markcameron2110wrote:

I had the same today, a letter through the post and then i logged onto MyBT and also had a reminder.  Looked everywhere to find my contract details online but nowhere to be seen, If you hover over MYBT, then go to orders and faults, then track order, it tells you your contract start date.

there was the warning about call centre being busy so i opted for online chat and they told me contract ends in October !!!!

They couldn't help me with renewal, i didn't want to anyway given so far in advance, but they did tell me to phone the call centre to discuss.

How stupid is that, send a letter out ages in advance which causes such confusion, hide the facts that people need to see online, and then get a chatbot to tell you to phone an already busy call centre which only makes it busier !!!!!!

So been forwarned your contract renewal will be due soon is stupid?

The contract start date been available in your orders is stupid?

Phoning up is the best way to get the cheapest deals available, it wont be busy for ever, and renewals isn't under pressure.

0 Ratings
markcameron2110
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

forwarded is fine, 5 months before I premature, you can't do anything apart from renew with them, you can't make a decision based on deals elsewhere as you're still in contract period.

not sure you've tried phoning lately, warnings all over their website saying they are prioritising at risk customers and there's long wait times, I gave up after 22 minutes on hold. amazing how easy it is to take up a contract online but impossible to cancel a contract online
MissBeatty
Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Chill out. They contact you when you’re contract is up it’s Ofcom rules. 

0 Ratings