Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 14

Re: Do I Need BT Halo 2?

@ploppy wrote:

Really?  I've always given different SSIDs to the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, starting when Macs had a problem if there was a shared SSID.  I doubt that's still an issue but I haven't changed.  Seems like a backward step.

Its done that way as it has to pair with the black complete Wifi discs. That needs both bands to have the same SSID. If that is not what you want, the either keep using the same home hub, or use a 3rd party router.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 14

Yes, but there is absolutely no reason why there can't be an option to separate the bands for those that don't have the black discs and wish to have different SSIDs. Making it non optional is crazy.

0 Ratings
ploppy
Contributor
Message 13 of 14

Agree totally.

Back in the day (unless I imagined it), there was an issue with Apple devices on different frequency bands.  Can't remember the details - may have had something to do with devices on one band not seeing devices on the other - and the advice at the time was definitely to give the bands different SSIDs.  However, I've just found a recent Apple support article where it advises NOT giving the bands separate SSIDs.  If I can raise enough enthusiasm I may test this out and see if I have any issues - although, the question becomes how long would I have to try it before having enough confidence that it was OK.  Still, got nowt else to do at the moment.  If nothing else, it would be interesting to see which devices choose which frequency band when left to negotiate it themselves.

I'd like to think BT owe me something for my continued loyalty - they didn't upgrade me to a HH6 or a SH1 - which is why I wondered whether the SH2 would be worth it.

0 Ratings
SuperFlyGuy
Contributor
Message 14 of 14

If you can get one for free (which I did when I moved to one of their Halo packages), then it might be worth it, but I wouldn't spend money on a SH2. As has been said, there are much better routers out there if you're going down the 3rd party router route.

Again, despite the horror stories, I've not had an issue with either 2.4 or 5 Ghz devices on my network. I've never had to disable one band in order to connect a wireless device.

Every other none-ISP router I've owned has had the ability to split the bands, but I've not had any issues, so far with the SH2.

They did need to send me out a new SH2 when we recently moved to full fibre, and I've actually still got the old SH2 packaged back up, assuming that BT would want that one sent back, but I've not heard anything from them yet!

0 Ratings