cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ploppy
Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Do I Need BT Halo 2?

Just had an email saying my broadband is up for renewal and it's "offering" BT Halo 2.  I'm currently on fibre (have been for 5 or 6 years), regularly get 60Mb/s speed and it's as stable as a very stable thing - except for HH5 automatically rebooting periodically (used to be every other Monday, then it was every other Friday, now it may be doing it during the night because I haven't been interrupted for a while).  The house is pretty small so wifi reaches everywhere.  What exactly is BT Halo 2 offering me?  Do I need it?  How do I NOT accept it, because following the link in the renewal email doesn't offer me an alternative?  Can I get my broadband renewed for cheaper than BT Halo 2 if I stay as I am?  I certainly don't need a "tech expert" to visit.  I have a hankering for a newer hub than the HH5 though - just because.  I'd call customer service, but, well, you know...

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Do I Need BT Halo 2?

if your connection is good and stable and you have no wifi problems then you don't need Halo 1 or 2

you can phone options team on 0800800030 and see what you can negotiate to renew your contract.  If you don't like offer don't accept and try again in a few days

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
ploppy
Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Thanks. I will call at some point - when I have my ducks in a row. Any advice re Smart Hub 2? At one point I was looking at 3rd party modem/routers because of the HH5 periodic reboots but I couldn't find one that people were 100% happy with. Is a SH2 worth getting to replace the HH5 (especially if it's free)? I mean, it's much newer so has to be better, no?
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

No

0 Ratings
SuperFlyGuy
Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Slightly off topic, but I don't understand all the hate for the SH2. I'll admit that until recently, when we moved to a Halo package, I have always used my own 3rd party routers (Asus), but the SH2 with a WiFi disc downstairs has been rock solid, with no reboots or loss of connection.

I think out of all of the current ISPs, BT's SH2 is probably the best of the bunch.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 14

@SuperFlyGuywrote:
Slightly off topic, but I don't understand all the hate for the SH2. I'll admit that until recently, when we moved to a Halo package, I have always used my own 3rd party routers (Asus), but the SH2 with a WiFi disc downstairs has been rock solid, with no reboots or loss of connection.

I think out of all of the current ISPs, BT's SH2 is probably the best of the bunch.

I agree with you. I too only ever used 3rd party routers but have been very impressed with the SH2 and the one disc downstairs. Touch wood it's been rock solid so far.

licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 14

The SH2 is absolutely fine unless you want to use different SSIDs for the 2 wifi bands or use a different DNS server or any of the other features that third party routers provide and the SH2 doesn't.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 14

@licquoricewrote:

The SH2 is absolutely fine unless you want to use different SSIDs for the 2 wifi bands or use a different DNS server or any of the other features that third party routers provide and the SH2 doesn't.

That is correct 😀

0 Ratings
ploppy
Contributor
Message 9 of 14

Really?  I've always given different SSIDs to the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, starting when Macs had a problem if there was a shared SSID.  I doubt that's still an issue but I haven't changed.  Seems like a backward step.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

Well you won't be able to with an SH2, a big bone of contention but BT think they know best.