cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jimaldo
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Do I need to pay for line rental?

I am seeing conflicting messages on whether I need to pay for line rental or not.

I'm currently paying my line rental annually and then monthly for broadband and get speeds of ~25MB.

My area has just had Full Fibre installed. I am due to have an engineer come out in a few weeks to fit a box to the outside of my house so my internet is upgraded to (up to) 150MB, although my annual LR runs out in May.

I've been told by the lady on the phone that I still need to pay for my line rental after . However BTs website says "With Full Fibre  –  also known as fibre to the premises or FTTP  –  we run the fibre all the way to your door. No copper cable."

I've put my details into BTs broadband availablity checker and it says "FTTP is available and a new ONT may be ordered"  so i assume I am getting FTTP.

My understanding is FTTP doesn't need line rental. "FTTP cable broadband services bypass the phone line by using fibre cabling all the way to your home."

Have I misunderstood this or are BT telling customers they need line rental when they don't?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Do I need to pay for line rental?

@Jimaldo 

There is no separate line rental any more, its part of the broadband cost and cannot be separated.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

you need to pay for the rental of the line whether that is copper or fibre.  whether you decide to make phone calls is up to you.  are you getting Digital Voice?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 4 of 9

@imjollyCould you tell me the cost of line rental for FTTP?

Can I pay the line rental 12mths in advance?

0 Ratings
Jimaldo
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

@imjolly I haven't had a land-line phone plugged in for 10 years and not got any interest in digital voice. Just use my mobile phone 🙂

imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

@pippincp wrote:

@imjollyCould you tell me the cost of line rental for FTTP?

Included in the price

Can I pay the line rental 12mths in advance?

No

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

@Jimaldo wrote:

@imjolly I haven't had a land-line phone plugged in for 10 years and not got any interest in digital voice. Just use my mobile phone 🙂

Line rental, is just that, rental for the physical medium (glass or copper) to carry whatever services you are using. It has nothing to do with telephony. As others have said, it is no longer a separate item anyway but part of whatever package you have.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

0 Ratings
ney
Expert
Message 9 of 9

@Jimaldo 

Im almost the same its been almost 7 or 8 months since I have plugged a phone in to the landline.

I now use my mobile to make calls. As I get unlimited mins  as part of my monthly sim only deal but I don't make phone calls on my mobile everyday.

I also don't think I would be interested in Digital Voice.

Depending on package landline for calls can now work out a little dearer than using your mobile to make calls.

As said line rental has been part of the broadband package price for a few years now.

My area had started getting ready for the roll out of Openreach FTTP last year but then it got delayed and I heard it was now meant to be this year sometime but have not heard anymore about it.

Darren

0 Ratings