cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sparkymark75
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Do they even know what they are doing?

So Friday past was the day I was supposed to be enjoying dumping my 1Mb ADSL connection and saying hello to 200Mb FTTP. OpenReach guy appeared on time in the morning, looked at the blue rope that had pulled to my house and said that he thought there would have been a cable pulled through already. He then checked the chamber in the pavement outside my house and the one across the road. He tells me my distribution point was down the road at number 36 (I'm number 76) but he couldn't pull a cable that far as his drum is only 150m and that run was nearer 300m.

He wasn't sure why my DP was that one and suggested I should be connected to the DP across the road but that one wasn't yet active (new build estate). He's had to pass it back to the planning department to see what they want to do. Either someone else comes out to pull a cable from the DP at house number 36 up to my house or they activate the DP across the road and he can pull a cable over to that. God knows why they didn't know all of this before they sent an engineer out. I placed the order two weeks ago, they've had ample time to check it. 

So I've wasted a day's holiday from work, I've got no clue what's happening next or when that will happen. If the system said I can order FTTP, then surely everything should be in place to allow that to happen? So frustrating.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: Do they even know what they are doing?

BT or should I say Openreach at its best.

Stew

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Welcome to this user forum.

Delays on FTTP provision are not unusual, it can be down to the amount of cooperation between the developers, and Openreach.

Blocked ducts are one of a number of issues.

If you have only been waiting two weeks, then that is a very short time compared with the many months that other people have waited.

0 Ratings
sparkymark75
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 7

I’ve been waiting months just get to the point of being able to order it. Why do Openreach tell me I’m now able to order FTTP when its not ready? Who decides if someone can now order FTTP?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

All you can do is to keep chasing the BT FTTP team on 0800 587 4787.

0 Ratings
sparkymark75
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Which I have done today as I was due an update today.

This weeks update is I've to wait another week till they send someone out to do a survey! I would have though they would know what they have deployed on their infrastructure. Especially on a new build estate where it's just been recently laid!

0 Ratings
sparkymark75
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

So they told me they would give me complimentary ADSL broadband in the meantime, except they can't even do that right!

Sick of BT already, never had to deal with such an inept company, and this is me dealing with UK based call centre staff.

0 Ratings