cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fellwalker
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 7

Does BT send text messages from +44 7800 004211 regarding new contracts?

Go to solution

Last week I agreed a new contract with BT for my phone and boradband.  I got the usual acknowledgement from BT from their special pohone number 60157, which showed my new contract number.

Today I get this text message which has me worried.  It wants a reply to 3 service satisfaction questions.  It doesn't give any personal ID as confirmation.  It is from a standard mobile number.  I've searched the number and am bombarded with results of all the times this number has been searched, but no useful results.

So, is it SPAM?  Or is it BT, in which case they should know better.

2017-03-13 15.18.46.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To err is human, but to really mess it up requires a computer
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Fellwalker
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Does BT send text messages from +44 7800 004211 regarding new contracts?

Go to solution

I chatted online with BT.  The outcome is that they do not have a record on my file of having sent this text, and confirm my suggestion of reporting it as spam. 

Done that - sent to O2 SPAM REPORT on 7726

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Hi @Fellwalker,

I've had it checked and the number +447800004211 is one of ours that we use for surveys.

Your concerns have been fed back too.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
Fellwalker
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution
Thanks for following this up, and for feeding back my concerns.
Sorry I reported if as spam.
Hopefully in future people searching will come across this thread and be able to identify the number as valid.
I'm worried that the web chat could not tell me that this was one of BT's numbers. He also required to fully identify me when the only thing I had asked was "is this a valid BT number?"
Maybe the BT site should have a list of numbers they use for surveys? Or do they change regularly?
mr_cj_knight
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution
It may be valid, but if it is not recognisable to the non-initiated as a Freefone number, it could be a scam which could cost an undisclosed sum if the customer replies to the text.

There is no alternative - answer the survey by texting "1", "2", or "3", or send "stop"!

AFAIK It could cost me £5.00 or whatever, if that number is from a scammer.

So I reported it as a suspicious number on a callblocker database, and I believe "Helen" at BT cannot now call me on that number, since she has used text aliases such as "64364" and also "61998" too.

I have no idea how much these texts would cost either, if I texted back!

I use a "call as you go" service from my provider, so any text will cost me something, so GFY to anyone who wants me to text back if I don't know their number!

Please, BT, do not communicate to customers in this way.

Yo know my email on my BT account. Please use that.
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

@mr_cj_knight wrote:
Please, BT, do not communicate to customers in this way.

Couldn't agree more; you can stop them but the means is a bit below the surface (surprise, surprise).

Log in to MyBT > Settings (third line down) > Profile > Edit marketing preferences (right of grey block a few lines down) > do the necessary. While there, you can also block emails, phone calls and snail mail, which is why I never get bothered by BT marketing junk; you can also prevent your data being purloined for automated decision-making.

Tellingly, a note at the bottom says that not specifying a preference will be taken as consent to bother you. Not what we should see from a grown-up company in the current climate.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Fellwalker
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Currently trying to help a friend who is getting regular calls from "BT" and cannot find the ability to Edit Marketing Preferences in the Profile section of her account, or indeed anywhere in her "My BT".

I have found a GDPR form you can complete and submit, from a link within https://www.bt.com/privacy-policy/  so I have completed that and submitted it.

0 Ratings