cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Does Loyalty work both ways

I have two BT accounts at two separate addresses.  Due to unforeseen circumstances I will be leaving one address to permanently move to the other address. I have used BT broadband at both locations for many years and have been happy with the service  

I called today to cancel the service at the address I'll no longer be living only to be told because I won't be transferring my contract I will be forced to pay over £200 for a cancellation fee. I was told I can't transfer the service because I already have a BT broadband account at my now only address.

Is this the way to treat up until now loyal satisfied customers? 

I've done a quick google search and calculated that with a new contract with another provider I can cancel all my BT contracts, be approximately £50 worse off over the new contract term but will gain a 50% download speed.

My question is what is the of price of loyalty to customers, does BT really think it's worth losing previously happy loyal customers because they rigidly enforce rules about transferring contracts to new addresses?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Does Loyalty work both ways

How long is the contract left in the address you are moving to? It may be cheaper to cancel that one then you can transfer your present contract over.

Bottom line you will have to cancel one contract so choose the cheapest one. It has nothing to do with loyalty.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

There is no such thing as customer loyalty. There are only customers. There are always plenty new customers coming along so no need to offer anything to keep a customer.

Message 4 of 11

Do you really think charging the full costs for a service as penalty is acceptable because someones circumstances change and BT have decided that as I already pay for their services at my new address I can't cancel the redundant account. It's not like it cost's BT anything to NOT provide the broadband - the only thing it effects is company profits

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Like I said - does loyalty work both ways...obviously not.

Customers don't really count where profit is involved

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

As already stated, it's nothing to do with loyalty, you signed a contract for a fixed period of time in order to secure a discount. You now wish to break that contract and hence are required to return a proportional amount of that discount that you are no longer entitled to.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Licquorice - I'm afraid you're totally wrong.
My 'monthly discount' was £5.00 per month so even on a full 24 month contract (which I certainly don't have left) the total contract 'discount' would be £120. I'm been told I have to pay £258.26. I'd be grateful for any justification for this charge
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

just like many other companies when you decide to break the fixed term contract then you are charged for the number of months remaining on your contract discounted to allow for a single termination payment.  this is set out in the T&C which you agreed and also applies to your existing remaining contract

this applies to everyone whether been with BT for 25yrs of just 6 months

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

It's just a punitive charge. But I can see why BT pre tax profits were £1.1bn. Good bye BT you'll never see another penny from me again
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Do you seriously think any other provider would be any different given the same circumstances?

0 Ratings