cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JM12
Contributor
Message 1 of 23

Does loyalty count for nothing?

My neighbour has a new contract for BT infinity plus anytime calls for £20 from 7th January. (He has been with BT for a number of years) I am paying £18.99 for ordinary broadband and anytime calls now! Have been offered to stay the same price for ordinary broadband or upgrade to infinity for £2 more. So plus the increase for anytime calls my new bills would be £21.50. An extra £1.50 not a lot, but new customers would only be paying £14.50 for ordinary + calls or £20.5 for infinity. I have been with BT for nearly 45 years so does loyalty count for nothing?
0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 23

Re: Does loyalty count for nothing?

Like most things new customers get a better incentive than existing customers

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
JM12
Contributor
Message 3 of 23

So it seems better to keep moving rather than stay. Keep moving to the cheapest/best deal. Which is a shame as we’ve always preferred to stay with who were used. Obviously nowadays it doesn’t pay. How long do you have to stay away to become a new customer?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 23

If you can be bothered with the hassle and possible down time as connection gets changed then better to move than renew contract. However if you have infinity then you need to check that cabinet is not full otherwise when you move you will lose your fibre connection and join a waiting list

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 23

No such thing as a loyal customer only a customer. BT along with most companies "bank" on "loyal" customers not moving and the vast majority of them such as your self don't because it is generally easier to stay than move.

You would need to either move to another provider and that would entail a minimum contract probably for a year or leave BT for I believe a month to be a new customer. If you do leave BT and not move to another provider you will have to pay a £30 cease charge so that might out weigh any saving you may get a a "new" customer.

Try contacting the Options Team on 0800.800.030 to negotiate a deal.

0 Ratings
JM12
Contributor
Message 6 of 23

As I understand your new provider does the work and you just hope it all goes smoothly. Yes I believe companies bank on people not bothering to change because of the hassle but people like me are going to have to vote with our feet, so to speak. I have managed to negotiate with other companies and at least get a little more for the same money. There is one option for me to move to who guarantee prices for three years and only one month contract at a time. I have phoned that number and been told they can’t match my neighbours deal or offer even a little off.. I need anytime calls for my husband otherwise I’d use my mobile. But even though we don’t make that many calls bt wouldn’t even budge on that though they did with my neighbour. Obviously they want him as a customer but not bothered about me ☹️
0 Ratings
JM12
Contributor
Message 7 of 23

Pay £30 if I don’t go to a new provider??!! And how do I check that my cabinet is full or not. Was only considering upgrading to infinity if I stayed with by as I have a good speed thanks to the help of the mods on this forum.😊
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 23

Try the Options Team again. It is not unknown for different reps to give different deals.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 23

I have checked about the £30 cease charge it it now appears that BT no longer levy that charge.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband-cease-charge/?s_cid=con_FURL_ceasecharges

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 23

you can check availability here by entering your phone number  http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome