cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Downgrading tv due to illness and just lost my job

I am a pensioner just lost my job. Without my job I struggle just asked BT to downgrade my tv package. They said they would but only if I signed a new 18 month contract. In six months time I might not be able to afford the basic internet and tv. So how can they ask me to be tied down to another contract for another 18 Months I tell you BT do not care one bit for its customers just take your money  they don’t Clare if you go into debt or not.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Downgrading tv due to illness and just lost my job

Why the BT bashing when I'm pretty certain if it was Sky or another provider they'd do exactly the same? Contracts are there for a reason to protect both sides

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Yes and sometimes circumstances change through no fault of your own. I didn’t want to cancel just downgrade a couple of tv add ons not the end of the world to a company the size of b.t.  By the way Sky has nothing to do with it my contract is with BT so why mention another provider.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 9

@taff49  sorry to hear your bad news, any change of promotion would mean a new minimum term, typically 18 months but some are 24 months, If that isn't something you can commit to then perhaps it's best not to make any changes.

Another idea though might be BT Basic, if you're in receipt of the following benefits (Please don't say you are or not as this is something private and best not shared) the you could qualify :

• Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Pensions Credit (Guaranteed Credit)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (Income related)
  • Universal Credit (and are on zero earnings)

BT Basic would mean your BT TV package would be ceased though, you'd be able to keep the Youview box and it will retain Freeview and on demand functionality but any support and premium content such as BT Sport would not be available.

More information and how to apply for BT Basic can be found Here

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 9

Perhaps @RobbieMac can help

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 9

When you say TV add-ons, have you got things like Sky Sports, Movies, Music etc etc that are just a 30 day rolling contract?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 9

Also dependd which tv package you're on  if ut's max/max hd or similar then some afd on's are inclusive so removing them won't reduce the price & will involve a package change hence the new contract. Again though we all know circumstances can change but contractd are there for a reason

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

I got kids and hd max £10a month

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 9

Hi @taff49,

Welcome and thanks for your posts!

I'm very sorry to see that you lost your job.  I can only imagine how difficult a time this must be for you.  Causing any added pressure is the last thing we want to do.  If you send us over your details we'll be able to look into this and see if there is anything we are able to do.

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how you can send us over your details and we'll look into this for you. See: Private messages

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings