Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

END OF CONTRACT - EQUIPMENT RETURN ?

Go to solution

Good Afternoon

- On the completion of my BT contract do you have to return the You View Box, Router and Wi-fi Disks ? 

- I was under the impression that the above equipment was mine ?

- If I have misunderstood where does it state on your contract that you have to return ALL EQUIPMENTS ?

Many Thanks

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: END OF CONTRACT - EQUIPMENT RETURN ?

Go to solution

@chalky2490 

It depends if you contract started before or after the 13th December 2019.

If its on or after that date, then BT own everything, and it has to be returned.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

If you took out your contract prior to 13th Dec 2019 you can keep the equipment at the end of your minimum term. If you took out your contract after that date or re-contracted after that date and received new equipment you are now only loaned the equipment and need to return it when you leave BT.

BT now state

Ownership of broadband hubs and TV boxes

-  As of 13 December 2019, we own all BT Broadband Hubs (Hub 4, Smart Hub, Ultrafast Smart Hub and Smart Hub 2) and TV Boxes (Z4, G4 and G5) sent out to customers.

-  When you replace hubs or boxes, or leave BT, please return those items to us. If the kit is not returned, you may be liable for a charge. Details of charging can be found on the Tariff Guide.

-  You have a total of 60 days to return your items and which includes the time taken for us to send out a jiffy bag.

From Bt Tariff Guide:

Set Top Box terms

We'll supply a BT Set Top Box to all customers taking BT TV where the package includes it, or a new Set Top Box is required for the service to work. This may be a new or reconditioned Set Top Box. BT customers who joinedbefore 13.12.19, who request a replacement Set Top Box, may be supplied with a reconditioned Set Top Box. A reconditioned Set Top Box is one which has been reconditioned to an “as new” standard and is supplied with the same 12 month warranty that would apply to a brand new Set Top Box. When you end the BT TV service you must return the BT Set Top Box that was loaned to you, within 60 days from the date the service is terminated. If you fail to do this then you’ll have to pay £60 for a YouView Box (Z4), £89for a YouView+ Box (G4) or £115 for a YouView+ Ultra HD Box.

BT Home Hub Terms

We'll supply a BT Home Hub to all customers taking BT Broadband, Superfast Fibre or Fibre 100/ 250 where the package includesit, or a new Hub is required for the service to work. This may be a new or reconditioned hub. BT customers who joined before 13.12.19,who request a replacement hub,may be supplied with a reconditioned hub.A reconditioned hub is one which has been reconditioned to an “as new” standard and is supplied with the same 12 month warranty that would apply to a brand new hub.When you end the BT Broadband service you must return the BT Hub that was loaned to you, within 60 days from the date the service is terminated. If you fail to do this then you’ll have to pay £43 for a Hub 4, £43 for a Smart Hub or £50 for a Smart Hub 2.

https://www.bt.com/terms/post11thjan2019voiceandbroadband

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Many thanks for the very in-depth solution/answer 👍👍 

I should be OK having renewed my contract in December 2018.

Once again THANKS 👍

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

Interesting...

I will be moving away from BT in a few weeks and they have insisted that I return my hub and disk or I 'will' be charged.

My contract will be full term and it started in January 2019.

The above detail is now missing from the website however. It appears they have changed it and removed the reference to 13 December 2019.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

As far as I am aware, the disc, if it a black disc has always needed to be sent back. They were only ever "loaned" to you.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

OK, that could make sense but not the Smart Hub that came with it?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

When did you receive the Smarthub? As per my previous post  "If you took out your contract prior to 13th Dec 2019 you can keep the equipment at the end of your minimum term. If you took out your contract after that date or re-contracted after that date and received new equipment you are now only loaned the equipment and need to return it when you leave BT".

In any event why would you want to keep it. As far as I am aware it is locked to BT.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

Hi, yes, my contract started January 2019 so before the change.

I currently have the hub2 as a wired slave in my garage and was hoping to keep it there as a slave to the Virgin router.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

If that is the case, as far as I am aware unless BT have since changed its Policy/Terms & Conditions you should be able to keep the hub but you will need to send the disc back.