Did you mean: 
Highlighted
mumhelper
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Early termination charges threatened when leaving because of price rise

Go to solution

Hi all,

I'm posting on behalf of my mum, who has decided to leave BT because of the impending price rise (she has already received the email).

She has instigated a "move" (i.e. the phone number) to Virgin and phoned BT to inform them the reason for leaving was because of the price rise - my brother then spoke to an advisor on her behalf and was initially told that the gaining provider would handle everything and my mum did not need to give any notice but he then made perfectly clear that the reason for leaving was the price increase.  It was confirmed (eventually) by "Beth" that there would be no penalty early termination charges for leaving because she was doing so because of the price rise. 

However she has just received a message telling her that there will be £482.84 to pay on her account for leaving BT!

I hope a mod can help me on this as this is leaving my elderly mother quite anxious despite my assurances that there will be NO charges because she has informed BT she is leaving because of the price increase.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Early termination charges threatened when leaving because of price rise

Go to solution

I think you will find that it is an automated email that is sent out and that there won't be any charges but to set your mother's mind at rest I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help.

They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. They are very busy at present so once you have replied to them by the link, it can take 48 hours for them to re-contact you.

0 Ratings
mumhelper
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Thanks,

My  mum says she already had an email saying this and this new message was sent as a text.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

Hi @mumhelper Sorry that your Mum received an email advising of these cancellation charges.

If you still require reassurance send us over the details and we will be happy to help. You can contact us by clicking on my user name and selecting contact the mods.

Thanks
John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

My  letter says I have until 16th of August so they have effectively given 30 days as per the T&C's and some extra time. 

It does say you need   to call them to  let them know what you are doing, perhaps that's what's caused the issue if she did not? 

0 Ratings
mumhelper
Beginner
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

What it says is:

"If you want to leave and you're within your minimum contract term, you'll need to call us within 30 days from the date of this email to avoid paying a charge for leaving early. You'll need to give us 30 days' notice to leave (or 14 days if you're switching to a new provider). We won't charge you for any increase in price during that time."

She did call them (as I said in my original post), and she then let my brother speak on her behalf and he informed the call centre advisor (in retentions I imagine) that the reason for leaving was because of the price increase - there was no ambiguity - and it was agreed that no additional charges would be levied.

Now a letter has arrived this morning, so that's an email, a text and now a letter through the post going on about this £482.84.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

Hi @mumhelper Neil did call this morning but could not get to speak with anyone. He will try again shortly.

Cheers
John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

@mumhelper I called again and got speaking with your mum, I've confirmed there's nothing to worry about as we're not charging her any cancellation fees for leaving. 

We received the transfer request from her new supplier 10 minutes before your brother called to advise us your mum was leaving due to the price changes. This meant the txt, email and letter were all issued before we had the chance to update our systems to ensure no cancellation charges would be raised. 

Community ModeratorNeilO
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
mumhelper
Beginner
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

Thanks Neil,

My mum really did appreciate the reassurance given.

Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

@mumhelper No problem at all, I was glad that I was able to help. 

Community ModeratorNeilO
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
0 Ratings