Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GaryE2000
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

End of Contract

Hi,

My 12 month phone & Unlimited Infinity 1 contract will finish at the beginning of May. I also have the Entertainment starter pack & BT Sport, but due to a BT mix up on my original order; these don’t finish until the end of June.

I telephoned BT today, to see if they could offer a similar/better deal for another 12 months. I currently pay £18.99 line rental & £10 Unlimited Infinity 1 Broadband & £2.50 for the Entertainment package. I was looking to compare it with Vodafone 18 Month offer for Phone/Fibre at *edited by mod*.

I was told that there were no deals currently available, but to call back a week before my contract expires; as there’s always good discounts available around that time.

I queried the notice I would need to give, if I wanted to switch to another provider, with only a week left on my contract. I was told several times during the call; that I wouldn’t need to give 30 days’ notice, if I wasn’t happy with any deal offered at that time.

I’ve not had any major issues with BT & would be happy to continue for another 12 months; if I am offered a good deal. However, I still can’t believe I wouldn’t have to give notice, even at the end of my contract. There is also the time it would take for any new provider to take over my connection to consider.

Any advice would be appreciated.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: End of Contract

Just ring BT UK customer options on 0800 800 030 just before you contract expires. All prices for new deals have to include the cost of line rental.

0 Ratings
GaryE2000
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Was the BT Rep correct, when he said I wouldn't have to give 30 days notice, at the end of my contract?

How long would it take for a new provider to take over my phone/fibre line?

At the moment all he could offer, was line & Unlimited Infinity 1 for £42.99, compared to £28.99 I'm paying now or *edited by mod* with Vodafone.

0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 10

If you are moving provider then they would normally take 14 days to switch you over. Bear in mind that Vodafone is an 18 month contract and doesn't offer the same channels as BT.
0 Ratings
GaryE2000
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

BT TV & BT Sport aren't a priorty, it's mainly the Phone/Fibre package I would be interested in extending with BT. Extending the TV package, would just be a bonus, after organizing the main package.

18 Months @ £***, would certainly be an improvement on 12 Months @ £42.99. I just feel that by calling back a week before the end of my contract, as advised by the BT Rep, would roll me over into another months billing.

My current Infinity 1 package & line rental, without discount, would be £44.99. I was hoping to get it all arranged in advance, not having to rush around at the end of the contract.

0 Ratings
magpie03
Expert
Message 6 of 10

@GaryE2000 My contract is also ending soon and currently pay the same as you for the broadband but don't have the tv package, do you think there is a chance you would get it for the same price again?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

magpie03

see message 2. Phone and haggle a deal.

0 Ratings
magpie03
Expert
Message 8 of 10

I will do that nearer my contract end date then 🙂
0 Ratings
GaryE2000
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

I called 0800 800 030 yesterday, but they didn’t have any new offers available. However, I did discover an issue with my account.

In May last year, I renewed my 12 Month contract for my Phone, Unlimited Infinity 1, Caller ID, BT Entertainment & BT Sport. When I received my Quarterly statement, the Caller ID & BT TV packages had been incorrectly charged to my account.

I telephoned and raised the issue with one of BT’s foreign call centres; who claimed that due to the number of items on my order, some of them failed to go through correctly. They agreed to fix the issue & credit my account for my next Quarterly Bill.

When I received the next Bill, everything seemed to have been corrected. However I’ve now discovered that when fixing the issue they’ve extended my contract until sometime in July. BT are now investigating the issue & will get back to me within 5 working days. I missed a call earlier from 0800 028 5085, but hopefully they will call back.

I assume that as BT’s system thinks I have 2-3 Months left on my contract; I won’t be offered a deal until this is fixed?

0 Ratings
mabrookes
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

I have 2 months left and a link appeared to take me to a new deal in My BT (not bad deal to be fair, £35 total for Infinity 2 including line rental and free new router to replace HH5 with smart hub - although it was 18 months not 12 so that might be why it is better than even new customer price).

So I would imagine you should be able to ring and negotiate something even with a few months left once things are cleared up.

0 Ratings