Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FlyingGorilla567
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Ending contract - 30 Day Notice

Hey guys,

My contract ends on 24/05/18, in order for the contract to not continue after this date, do i absolutely have to give BT a full 30 day notice? I am going to be switching providers (don't know who yet, although it won't be a cable provider like Virgin) closer to 24/05, my concern is that if i give the 30 day notice BT will put a cease order on the line not allowing another provider to carry my current landline number over and if i don't give them the 30 day notice and say, put an order in with another provider mid next month and they take over the supply on 24/05 i will be charged equipment/early termination fees by BT, what would my options be here?

Many thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Ending contract - 30 Day Notice

Once you've decided on your alternate provider they should take care of everything for you.

gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

If you are moving provider at the end of your contract there should be no cancellation fees. Provided you are moving to another ISP the notice is 14 days. It is only 30 days if you were ceasing broadband or moving to Virgin.

You do not even have to tell BT you are moving ISP. The new ISP should do all that for you. Just tell them what date you want to start with them and they will contact BT. You should check with your chosen ISP to see what their procedure is.

See link

https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/guides/switch/

0 Ratings
FlyingGorilla567
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Ok, that's very helpful thank you, so at which point can I switch over to another provider without incurring any fees? Can I switch to another provider on say 15/05 and not be slapped with any equipment etc charges? Many thanks.
0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 5 of 7

Hi @FlyingGorilla567 If your contract ends on the 24th May and you have been supplied equipment with your order last May then you would incur cancellation charges for the equipment if you move before that date. Also as per the previous posts your new provider will arrange the switch for you which will close your BT account. 

Cheers
John

0 Ratings
FlyingGorilla567
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Thank you for the reply, so if i switch over on exactly 24/05 there will be no charges?
0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 7 of 7

Hi @FlyingGorilla567 As long as you are 100% sure that your contract ends on that date then you would not incur any charges.

Cheers
John

0 Ratings