cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Ending contract with no penalty

Hi my contract ended on 17 January 2019 with no penalty because of price rises case no vol013-***** from elc department not held to term and account closed,someone has said they changed terms and conditions at beginning of year to stop this ,could someone give me date it changed thank you

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Ending contract with no penalty

It was announced in January 2019 and the T&Cs were changed on 11th January 2019.

This means that the next price rise will not be until January 2020

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/01/isp-bt-to-match-uk-broadband-and-mobile-price-rises-to...

https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/news/2019/01/bt_changes_how_broadband_price_rises_calculated/

You would have been able to leave without penalty because you were subject to the "old" T&C's and your price rise was implemented prior to the changed T&Cs.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 3 of 16

So as I was on old terms and conditions does that mean all of bts other customers are allowed to leave penalty free as I was allowed to do as long as they joined before 11th of January because my contract ended on 17th of January after the date,because that will be good news for thousands of customers I expect

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 4 of 16

Previously if BT increased the price you could leave penalty free, however this has now changed as CPI inflation is built into the new terms, anyone who joined or renewed on or after January 11th 2019 can't leave due to price rise, however the rise is now only at the rate of CPI, which from January just gone was only 1.8%, previous price rises were quite steep at £2 for standard BB and £2.50 for fibre.

BT have also promised no price rises in 2019, with the earliest possible increase in March 2020.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 5 of 16

I'm glad that's clear because I think people are confused thinking that they can't leave penalty free but now they know that they can as long as they joined before 11th of January my contract ended on 17th of January and an pleased should customers wish to leave penalty free you have cleared the matter up and made it crystal that they can,I will leave post active so people can see

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

@Jimmy3 wrote:

I'm glad that's clear because I think people are confused thinking that they can't leave penalty free but now they know that they can as long as they joined before 11th of January my contract ended on 17th of January and an pleased should customers wish to leave penalty free you have cleared the matter up and made it crystal that they can,I will leave post active so people can see

I think you will find that everybody is subject to the new T&Cs. It sets out in the T&Cs and always has that BT can change the T&Cs. This will mean that regardless of when you started your contract the new T&Cs will apply to all when the next price rise happens in January 2020.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 7 of 16

I think you will find new terms and conditions started on 11th January and my contract was terminated on 17th of January because of price increases according to what you said I would be in New terms and conditions for six days and I ended it so I don't understand why I can do it and not other people,maybe I'm missing something because I'm nothing speacial and if I can do it why can't others,I have even provided my vol number to prove what I said I'd accurate and truthful

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

@Jimmy3 wrote:

I think you will find new terms and conditions started on 11th January and my contract was terminated on 17th of January because of price increases according to what you said I would be in New terms and conditions for six days and I ended it so I don't understand why I can do it and not other people,maybe I'm missing something because I'm nothing speacial and if I can do it why can't others,I have even provided my vol number to prove what I said I'd accurate and truthful

You give a totally diffferent date (August 2018)  on this post https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/Non-existent-bill/m-p/1936502#M108620

If you left because of the increase, then it had to be done within a short timescale, otherwise you would have been charged.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 9 of 16

@Jimmy3wrote:

maybe I'm missing something

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing now, the last BT price rise was on September 17th 2018, so if you've just left how can it be because of a past rise ? you're well outside the notification window, only if an exception was made due to a mistake but that would be judged case by case, you're referring to the majority of customers, when you agree to any BT contract you're told that 'prices, content and terms may vary' and you have to agree to have the service.

Anyhow, if you left months ago as you say, why are you digging up the past ?

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 10 of 16

I tried ending contract four times starting on that date but a senior bt manager overturned it,I was on contract until by finally cancelled it on 17th of January I have public subject info request data and elc report,but you tell me bt can't do that because of 11th January change of terms and conditions which means bt cancelled illegally on 17th January,I have stated this whole thing on that thread and if you read it you will see

0 Ratings