Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
chris79
Message 1 of 7

Engineer Didn't Turn Up and Poor Customer Service

Hello,

I have been very disappointed by BT. I spent an entire day off work waiting for the engineer to arrive for his appointment, and they never arrived. I never received even a phone call or a text to let me know they weren't arriving. To take the day off I had to arrange a number of things at work, and it was all for nought. I called BT and the only excuse I got was that there "wasn't enough resource" to install my router.

I thought BT would actually agree that this was an awful situation and try and make amends. Instead all I got was a new appointment date, and this is without anyone calling me to apologise.

My new appointment is actually on Christmas eve. I asked the support person if she could confirm that the engineer would actually turn up this time...AND SHE COULDN'T EVEN GIVE ME THIS.

I have complained to Ofcom and am awaiting their decision. I have since heard that BT is the worst telephone and broadband supplier in the UK. I just wish I knew this before I applied.

Can I ask if BT would consider providing instructions for people to install their own Internet?

C

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Engineer Didn't Turn Up and Poor Customer Service

Is your order for Infinity or normal broadband ?if Infinity then it has to be engineer installed as work is required at the local street cabinet
0 Ratings
KNH
Message 3 of 7

I am in the same boat - but a step behind. I had a day off work and waited for the engineer to turn up. No show. He did however mark the order as complete, and in his engineering notes stated that he had completed the install for Infinity and tested the connection!

I have been on the phone for over 2 hrs in total now, only to be bounced from person to person, and then be told that the system is down and to ring back after 2:30pm. What a huge waste of time.

How did you manage to get a new appointment scheduled? I haven't even managed to have a productive conversation with anybody about the situation. I notice that when I ordered Infity the customer service was excellent, but now that I am paying for something I can't use BT don't seem to care.

I am fed up of all this time wasted. I have already wasted a day off work, and hours on the phone. BT need to sort this out. Currently extremely unimpressed, and wouldn't recommend BT.

0 Ratings
WatchdogTS
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 7

@chris79 wrote:

Can I ask if BT would consider providing instructions for people to install their own Internet?

C

A BT call centre in India covers this, resetting the hub, unscrewing the master socket, trying different sockets, is the phone working, erm I am speaking to you on it. After a couple of weeks support like this, an engineer home visit is arranged to confirm its not the hub, wiring or sockets in your house, the fault as usual can be found in BT's exchange, caused by them over throttling your line as the service you were getting was faster than the one you were paying for. Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

@Watch dog TS as this is possibly an Infinity install although the OP has not replied to the question it does require an engineer visit for the install. Hence my reply as Infinity is not a customer install product
0 Ratings
Robinidas
Message 6 of 7

I had a issue nearly the same as this, i called to get a phone line installed on the 16/10/12  (as i was just moving in) and got told an engineer needed to visit. I took the day off work (06/11/12), lost a days pay, only for the engineer not to turn up, i got told the engineer would attend betwen 8am and 1pm, the morning of the appointment i recieved a text message say no engineer needed to visit at 8:30am, and a email at 1am! That is 21days between arranging the visit and the day the engineer should have arrived. Ispoke to BT several times and finally got my connection fee refunded =] so ended up getting sorted.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Had exactly the same problem in Dec. 2011. Engineer didn't turn up. No contact from BT. I had to do all the chasing up via the impotent offshore call centre, the ridiculous web email form (which incidentally does not accept the customer account number in the format it appears on your bill!  ... no spaces allowed [but they don't tell you that ... are they trying to prevent you contacting them?] ... also be careful to copy the content of your message, it's much less frustrating when the page 'times-out'). I did find this forum & a moderator very helpful at that time but this means of contact is still something not adequately signposted by BT. 

If/when this is sorted out check your contract start date ... quelle surprise, it starts on the day that the first engineer failed to turn up!

0 Ratings