Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jilly
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 23

Engineer charge.

An engineer came and check the main socket in the bedroom as I had been having trouble with intermittent broadband for months. I was warned that if it was internal wiring it was down to me. I was aked to take the front plate off the box and insert a cable in a socket to the right but I refused to do this as I cannot bend down low or use a screw driver as I have rheumatism.  The engineer came and Said  he would fit a new box cover that has an excelerator in it,( so I bought a new one for nothing from BT). When he took the front cover off he said the wiring was old but he would cut the ends of them and reconnect to the box. He wrote in the report apparently that there was no sync?? and i would need a new hub. i said that I wouldn't have to pay the £99 would I and he said no, it's not your fault. When he left I again asked him and he said no don't worry. Today I received my bill for £155. 72 and included was the £99. I rang BT and asked why because I was told I wouldn't be charged and the woman I spoke to says you were mis-informed and that it's not down to the engineer , we assess his report which says there was a faulty socket therefore that is down to you. She was so rude.  I cannot recommend BT to anyone. Am I at fault?

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 23

Re: Engineer charge.

If you would like to contact one of the UK based BT Care Team who moderate this forum, they should be able to investigate for you.

They can be contacted using this link BT Care Team

They normally respond by phone or e-mail, within three working days, however you should get an immediate confirmation, with a tracking number.

0 Ratings
WatchdogTS
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 23

I think the front plate is belong to BT, did changing it solve the problem?

0 Ratings
jilly
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 23

He changed the front plate as well as cut and reconnected wiring so don't know which one contributed to the working, he did say my hub needed changing and so did tech help on the phone which is what I had been telling them for weeks.  BT sent customers a letter to say they had infinit in my area and they would upgrade frhaggle charge which means I received hub 3 with infinity. Everything seems to be ok but I may get the odd time where I lose connection but that may be due to the weather.

0 Ratings
WatchdogTS
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 23

He would have to trim the wire to put on a new plate anyway, the point is he did not change any wiring nor state that the fault was due to the wiring IN your home.

I had the same work done on my connection so there should be no charge for that.
0 Ratings
jilly
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 23

Unfortunately the2 women I spoke to said as the wiring was at fault it's down to me as wiring inside the house is down to customer. I have sent a complaint as advised earlier but have had no reply as yet. No surprise.

0 Ratings
ach2
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 23

Hi Jilly,

Use the link in Keith's reply (first reply to you). This will open a contact form to the forum moderators and you can give them the information to check. They are the only people from BT here and they can't normally get involved until specifically asked to (ie by using the contact form). They will usually reply within 3 working days and they are very good at resolving problems.

If the wiring the engineer changed is on the master socket then you shouldn't be charged, but if it is on an extension then it is your responsibility - but contact the mods to find out. Also, ask someone you trust (neighbour or relative etc) to check if this is the master socket - it should be the first point of connection from where the wire enters the house.

regards,

Alan.

0 Ratings
WatchdogTS
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 23

@jilly wrote:

Unfortunately the2 women I spoke to said as the wiring was at fault it's down to me as wiring inside the house is down to customer. I have sent a complaint as advised earlier but have had no reply as yet. No surprise.

Changing the front plate is not the same as putting in new wiring, you still have the same wiring. It seems to me that changing the front plate fixed the problem to some extent, which means the problem was located in your home. The front plate is BT's responsibility, the wiring is yours.

0 Ratings
jilly
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 23

Hi Alan thanks for reply. I did use the form and the reply from them is posted below. It was the master socket which is in the bedroom and not an extension. the wire comes from the outside and in under my bedroom window. as you will see from the reply they still want me to pay something.
Regards
Jilly
0 Ratings
jilly
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 23

hi Alan my reply is above

0 Ratings