cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brie2
Message 1 of 4

Engineer charge

I am absolutely gutted. Went to the bank today to do some shopping and our account was overdrawn so had to come home again. We always leave enough in to cover bills but today a £130 call out charge from bt was taken as well as the notmal monthly bill.
We had an engineer out in November as we had no landline service. He left without informing us we would incur this charge and bt have not once notified us we would be charged either otherwise we wpuld have been better prepared.
I phoned bt today and have just had a call to say the charges are right and that they are sorry!
Well tha ks for that. I am currently waiting for my mum to come lend me some money for a little food shop which i have to pay back and she is a pensioner. Also now facing bank charges for going overdrawn too. All this 2 days after christmas! Havebt cried so much in ages. Merry christmas to you too bt!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated but i dont hold out much hope!
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 4

Re: Engineer charge

Welcome to the forum. You're entitled to prior notification of the amount of an upcoming direct debit if it's different to the previous one; you're also entitled to an explanation of why you've been charged for the callout.

I'd dispute the charge and ask for an explanation. Meanwhile, if it helps, the Direct Debit Guarantee also gives you the right to tell your bank that the payment was incorrect; they are then obliged to replace the funds and sort it out with BT.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Hi @Brie2,

Welcome to the community forum. BT Should as @pottyperson has said, given prior notification of the amount before the Direct Debit was taken. As well as this BT should have let you know of the potential charge at the time of the engineers visit being booked.

If you take a look at Engineer charges it explains under what circumstances charges would apply. When you spoke to BT did they explain why the charges have been raised?

I do understand that £129.99 is a lot of money and more so at this time of year. I'll be able to take a look at your account to see why that charge has been applied. 

Please can you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile?

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Just for information, the engineer is not able to say if the work is chargeable. He just submits his work sheet and the paper pushers decide if it should be charged for or not.

I would do as pottyperson has suggested although that won't help your cash flow mean time.

EDIT: Post overlaped with the moderator's post. I would suggest you contact them as I'm sure if they can they will help sort this out.

0 Ratings